Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Win7 Home Premium and HP Pavillion DV6-2150US.  Hard drive failed.  I purchased a Seagate 500gb replacement (original drive was 250gb) and used my purchased HP re-install DVD's to re-build Windows and re-install the OEM software on the new hard drive.  

Everything boots fine but it will not process Windows updates (.e. there is a big red X on the windows update screen).  I have tried the Microsoft "Mr Fix it" download ---but it errors out and none of the other Microsoft suggestions work either.  When I was lucky enough to speak with a MS tech support person, she suggested that somehow the windows on the new hard drive may not be genuine, etc...  Even though windows on the new hard drive states that its activated and genuine...is there some sort of check to a hard drive serial number to "really" activate windows? 

Just to ensure that my re-install was not corrupted, I erased the new hard drive and started all over....I have the same exact result...it boots fine, but will not update via windows updates.  The only other change to the laptop was that I had best buy double the memory to 8 from 4 when I purchased it 2 years ago...again, not sure if there is some sort of hardware change limitation prior to invalidating the windows software.

Please help!  I am truly stuck.  Thx JimmyC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for your post...I solved my problem by installing the update Intel rapid storage driver per this link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02219204

I guess as long as the hard drive is less than 250Gig you don't need the new driver.  But when I replaced my failed hard drive with a 500gig hard drive--when I did the HP restore of Win7 and the OEM software from the dvd's I purchased--it put the original storage driver back into Win7---which works fine with a 250 gig drive but causes windows update to not work for drives greater than 250gig.   When I installed the driver file from the above link, Windows update started working--and you can imagine there were many, many patches since my PC was now restored to original Win7---not even Win 7 SP1. 

Hopefully this will help someone else...thank you for your post.  JimmyC

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello jimmyc5559.  I understand you're having some problems getting Windows update to run.

Are you getting any sort of error message? 

First, you should verify that the services related to Windows update are running.  Try the following.

1. Click Start, type "services.msc," and press Enter.
  2. When the list populates locate both the "Background Intelligence Transfer Service," "Windows Update," and "Windows Time" services are started.  If they are not right click on the service and select "Start."
  3. Exit the application and see if this resolves the issue.

If this doesn't resolve the issue I would suggest using the Windows Update Troubleshooter.  Here is how to access the troubleshooter.  

1. Go to the Control Panel.
  2. Select "System and Security."
  3. Under "Action Center" select "Troubleshoot common computer problems."
  4. Under the new "System and Security" section select "Fix problems with Windows Update."
  5. Allow the troubleshooter to run and post the results.

I will be awaiting your reply.  I hope you have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your post...I solved my problem by installing the update Intel rapid storage driver per this link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02219204

I guess as long as the hard drive is less than 250Gig you don't need the new driver.  But when I replaced my failed hard drive with a 500gig hard drive--when I did the HP restore of Win7 and the OEM software from the dvd's I purchased--it put the original storage driver back into Win7---which works fine with a 250 gig drive but causes windows update to not work for drives greater than 250gig.   When I installed the driver file from the above link, Windows update started working--and you can imagine there were many, many patches since my PC was now restored to original Win7---not even Win 7 SP1. 

Hopefully this will help someone else...thank you for your post.  JimmyC

HP Recommended

Good morning jimmyc5559.  

I am glad that you were able to resolve the issue.  Thank you for providing the link to the support document with the solution.  I have to admit, that is a conclusion I wouldn't have come to right away.  Today I learned!  

If you ever need more assistance don't hesitate to pay the forums a visit.  The community is amazing and a great resource. 

Have an excellent weekend!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

I had the same issue too after replacing my hard drive on my dv7 Pavillion laptop.

Upsized from a 640GB/5400 rpm WD to a 750GB/7200 rpm WD

Thanks for the helpful information.

Cheers,

HP Recommended

Brilliant! The Intel rapid storage driver fixed mine too...all other things failed.

Everything else worked but Windows Search and Windows Update plus troubleshooting in control panel. Couldnt get NET FRAMEWORK reinstalled either.

thanks so much!

The driver is at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=22676&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

They REALLY need to mention this when selling you a WD drive. Took 5 minutes. This thread helped too, even though I have a SONY

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/After-Restoring-to-New-Hard-Disk-No-Window...

http://www.beezmo.com/geezblog/?p=74

HP Recommended

Dude you fixed it for me!  I had the same problem after purchasing the restore media from HP.  After 3 tries at the restore I finally found this post about installing the Inetl Rapid Storage driver.  Thanks!!

HP Recommended
My system Windows update not work. H. D. D IS not use. My hard disc is 160gb. But not work DVD rider. How can I update my system.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.