Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 470 G2 refurbished
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello dear HP support,

I am trying to activate Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, that was preinstalled with laptop when I bought it. Currently I am facing difficulties activating it after system reinstall as no recovery partition were present on the disk. Activation attempt shows Error C004E003. Reason of system reinstallation was virus attack.

Following instruction and running "SLUI.exe 4" shows three options:

-Buy a new product key online

-Type a different product key

-Contact Microsoft to help resole this problem

After I have contacted Microsoft support staff, they ensured me, that this is SLP key, and activation issue must be resolved at HP.

Here is my Windows product id:

00371-OEM-8992671-00008

Please help me activate Windows.

With best regards,

Marius M.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is only a Windows 8/8.1 Key Code embedded in the BIOS if the unit shipped licensed for either of those OS'es. If it was 8/8.1 Pro there is actually a privilege to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro. If the laptop was licensed for 8/8.1 Pro there should be a Windows Pro sticker on it or was one. 

Its been a long time since I did this but here is some information about downgrade rights:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/downgrade-from-windows-8...

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/365576-windows-8-pro-oem-downgrade-to-windows-7-product-key-q...

I recall there was a time when HP was selling Windows 8/8.1 native units with Windows 7 Pro and that might be what you have. You can use any Windows 7 Pro OEM Key Code. If you do a google search in "images" for Windows 7 Pro OEM Key Code you will find a bunch of them which I will not link here. It will allow you to finish installation, but not activate, but you can call the phone activation center. If you have your Windows 8/8.1 Code rescued from the BIOS, MS will activate Windows 7 Pro for you. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

If the recovery partition is not working, from what media did you reinstall Windows 7?

HP Recommended

To reinstall OS I was using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit ISO file written to the USB, that was downloaded from Microsoft's digitalriver subdomain several years ago. As I have mentioned before, there were no recovery partition present on disk. It was 100 MB system partition, 463 GB Windows 7 Professional partition and 2 GB HP_TOOLS partition.

HP Recommended

Yes I have a set of those old disks, too and have successfully used them many times to restore Windows 7 to laptops from several manufacturers using the Key Code found on a sticker....is the sticker still legible on your computer? The number you gave us is different than the Key Code which will look like this:

2e262c683b23b9b0123d154a599c.jpg

Its is a series of 5 x 5-character alphanumeric sets and does not include "OEM". 

If you use that Key Code it will not activate right off, usually. Most of the time you then have to go to the automated Microsoft telephone activation but if you have a smartphone it can be done by text message now. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

My bad, i have not provided information, that sticked from this refurbished laptop is missing as most new laptops does not have them either. Sticker with key is not found anywhere on the laptop including area under battery.

As I have mentioned, "slui.exe 4" does not have "activate over the phone" option as this is SLP key. I specifically provided product ID for SLP key that I had written down earlier to be activated by manufacturer - HP.

Microsoft product activation assistant over the phone said, that this key that was pre-activated when i bought this laptop has to be reactivated by manufacturer - HP. The key I have written down is xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx pattern as provided in your visual example.

Please help, HP staff related to product activation should be able to resolve this in no time.

HP Recommended

There is no staff related to product activation. HP keeps no record of the Key Codes tied to specific serial numbers or otherwise. If the sticker is gone I am afraid you may have to acquire a different license for Windows 7 Pro.

If you had Windows 8/8.1/10, the activation Code is embedded in the BIOS or otherwise permanently attached to the computer but the only means of activating the OEM license for Windows 7 on OEM HP laptops is with the Key Code.

Does the pre-installed Windows 7 still run? There are several tools out there like Magical Jelly Bean which can recover the Key Code from the registry.

HP Recommended

The sticker was absent since the very first day of the purchase. This laptop had preinstalled Windows 7 professional 64 bit version, that was preactivated when I turned on that laptop.

When this laptop was in working condition, i have saved all keys and yes, BIOS has Windows 8 or 8.1 code embedded. Can I use that code from BIOS to activate Windows 7?

Preinstalled Windows 7 doesn't run anymore, I have reinstalled it and hoped that I can use license code that was saved when laptop was still new.

HP Recommended

There is only a Windows 8/8.1 Key Code embedded in the BIOS if the unit shipped licensed for either of those OS'es. If it was 8/8.1 Pro there is actually a privilege to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro. If the laptop was licensed for 8/8.1 Pro there should be a Windows Pro sticker on it or was one. 

Its been a long time since I did this but here is some information about downgrade rights:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/downgrade-from-windows-8...

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/365576-windows-8-pro-oem-downgrade-to-windows-7-product-key-q...

I recall there was a time when HP was selling Windows 8/8.1 native units with Windows 7 Pro and that might be what you have. You can use any Windows 7 Pro OEM Key Code. If you do a google search in "images" for Windows 7 Pro OEM Key Code you will find a bunch of them which I will not link here. It will allow you to finish installation, but not activate, but you can call the phone activation center. If you have your Windows 8/8.1 Code rescued from the BIOS, MS will activate Windows 7 Pro for you. 

HP Recommended

The "kudos" probably means more to you, but here is my humble words: thank you for help sir. Have a nice day.

HP Recommended

You are welcome. Just glad I managed to recall this information so it could be of help to you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.