Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

I recently learned that I can upgrade my OS to windows 7 for my old HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook.  After running the windows 7 upgrade advisor, everything came back suggesting I could perform the upgrade, however, it was recommended that I visit HP to install the latest driver for my device that is compatible with the upgrade.  How do I do this?

Thanks,

C

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@CMisiewicz

You need to know what is your dv4 first before you can go to its supported page (hope still available) to download drivers. Now the question is what is your dv4 ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Even if an upgrade is technically feasible, it is impossible unless you already have a Windows 7 licence for the system. Some systems did get free upgrades from Windows Vista to Windows 7, but that upgrade was only available for a limited period. If you were entitled to a free upgrade back then but did not claim it, it is no longer available. As a general rule it is always best to claim free upgrades even if you immediately downgrade the system again.

Microsoft withdrew Windows 7 from retail sale several years ago and I would not expect any retail stock to remain. There are still some routes to install Windows 7 via downgrade rights but I think the only options that remain to use downgrade rights for a new Windows 7 installation are for organisations that have a Microsoft volume licence agreement.

If you can find someone willing to sell you a second hand retail licence of Windows 7 (not an OEM licence; I mean the full boxed edition) then it might be possible to activate that on your dv4. However, it is questionable whether it is worth spending any money on such an old system, especially as Windows 7 is only 14 months from the end of extended support and therefore publicly available security updates in January 2020.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.