Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp-15 F018DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I upgraded my laptop from 8.1 to Windows 10.

The recovery partition on my laptop I understand is for the original factory installation that includeds windows 8.1.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Can i use the recovery partition to go back to the original 8.1 OS from the new windows 10 OS? Does it still work now that i have  a new different OS?

2. If I want to delete the recovery partition, and recover the space back to the C drive, what is the best way to do it?

- Can i click remove recovery partition on the hp recovery manager or is there a more involved process that requires computer management?  I've seen some information about this but only with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 OS. Nothing about Windows 10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay so it seems that it is basically not possible to merge two non adjacent partitions with disk management. So I found a free software called ACMEI partition assistant and with it I was able to do it. Thanks.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Results seem to vary on getting the Recovery to work after upgrading to Windows 10. Many people report it not working while others report success. I have had same results. On two different machines I have tried it on- one it worked, the other reported that I needed Recovery Media (which I had made,fortunately).

If you still have HP Recovery Manager and option to remove recovery partition that is the easiest way to accomplish it.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

So if I want to remove the partition best way is to do it through the recovery manager? Will it automatically merge with the C drive or just create an empty partition/drive?

HP Recommended

HP document on removing recovery partition:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810298

HP Recommended

That document states it is valid for Vista and Win 7.

Is it okay for windows 10?

HP Recommended

The process is same. That old document was the first that came up in the search. Here is another that came up when I searched for removing it specifically in Windows 10:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04497680#AbT8

HP Recommended

That one seems to be specific for HP Omen 15 notebook computers with Windows 8 but I'll check it out.

HP Recommended

Ok i did that but all it did was remove the recovery info. It left the partition. How do I incorporate that space back into C drive in windows 10?

Do I use disk management? There is a small windows related partition in between C and the old recovery partition.

HP Recommended

May be because the OS has been updated. Yes, you will need to use Disk Management.

HP Recommended

okay I'll figure it out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.