Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 15-Cc1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, after purchasing the laptop and using for two weeks, I got the message that activation is ending soon and the system need to be activated through settings, which requires me to enter the windows activation key.

Didn't I purchase a new laptop with an activated and genuine operating system.

I can't find the stickers of windows key on the back of lap top, and after searching I knew that it is embedded in the bios setup.

How can I solve this issue?

Capture.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Joboma,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. As I understand you are having issues with Activating Windows on your HP laptop. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you installed the OEM version of Windows or Is it a Retail version of Windows?

In the meantime, while you respond to this post, please try these steps here: 

• OEM Copy: If your computer came with Windows, it likely has an OEM copy. An OEM copy is tied to a specific computer and can’t be moved to a new computer. While you’re free to upgrade a PC’s hardware components or replace a failing hard drive, you can’t move your OEM copy to a new computer. 

• Retail Copy: If you purchased a boxed copy of Windows, it’s likely a retail copy. A retail copy of Windows can be moved to a new computer, but you’re only allowed to use that copy of Windows on a single computer at a time. That means you’d have to uninstall the old copy of Windows before you moved it to a new computer. 

Don't worry, though, as I'll be glad to help you out as you could attempt activating your windows using the following methods: 

Activate by phone (IVR) using Microsoft: 

• Step 1 – Click on Windows Orb and enter ‘slui.exe 4’ into the search box 

• Step 2 – From the search list, click on ‘slui.exe 4’ 

• Step 3 – From the drop-down list, choose the country you are residing now 

• Call the designated toll-free number; Read out the number displayed on the screen accordingly. 

• The IVR will then read out a list of character to you, enter it into the screen and Activate windows. 

For more details, please go through this support document for - HP PCs - Windows 10 Product Activation

Reinstall windows using the recovery media that you may have created shortly after the computer was purchased, if you haven't that's okay as you can order one online using the Official HP Website: Click here. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)

Here's what you need to know about obtaining a recovery media for yourself: HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Otherwise, I will share you a private message with details. Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear @jeet_singh,

Thanks for your reply, my system is OEM,  and the product key should be embedded in the mother board bios.

when I tried to run the "slui.exe 4" command, nothing happenned and no window appeared for me to select the country as you mentioned above!!!

I don't know what's wrong with my device, this the second time I reset it, and I face lots of troubles....

I'm thinking of returning it back.

HP Recommended

@Joboma,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and unfortunately nothing has helped to resolve this issue.

In this scenario, I would personally suggest you follow the instructions and contact our HP phone support to order a set of recovery media for your PC.

Using the recovery media, please go ahead and reinstall the Windows, I'm sure this should take care of the issue. 

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, I'm resetting Windows for one last time...

HP Recommended

@Joboma

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Echo_Lake & I'm at your service.

Work on it at your leisure and keep me posted for further assistance,

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Joboma

Your error message mentioned your "organization's activation service" -- and this is what is used with Enterprise versions of Win10 that are used in a company that has its own activation server.

If you are not in that situation, and you indeed have an Enterprise version of Win10, then you will need to connect it to your company's network in order to have its activation server do its work.

If you did not get this through such a company, then you need to return it for a refund, as there is no LEGAL way to activate an Enterprise version on your own.

If this is NOT an Enterprise version, then you also need to return it for a refund, as that message means that pirate software is running on your PC trying to fake out the Enterprise activation function.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood

Thanks, I have already returned it.

There was something seriously wrong with it...

HP Recommended

@Joboma

Sorry for the late response ... as I have been out ...

You did the right thing -- as no one should have sold you a PC with an Enterprise version of an OS on it, as that basically is not a legal thing to do.

Some companies have been known to sell used PCs at auctions, and those often contained Enterprise versions of an OS, and that puts the buyer in a real difficult situation -- something that folks usually don't know but are easily mislead when they see a "bargain" of getting used business-class machines on the cheap.

The companies are supposed to RESET the PCs, removing the OSs, but they are often lazy and do not do that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.