Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Well, there is a workaround that was shared earlier in the thread that will work for a certain amount of time, but I would definitely look into getting a new laptop with a much larger hard drive.  However, do you by chance have an SD card that you can add to your current device?  Also, do you know how to check your page file to see how large it is?  If you give me your model number I can look into finding solutions to free up storage space and cut corners.  I need to know your system specs and what version of Windows 10 is installed, and I will try to help. 

This link may prove useful:  https://www.getfilecloud.com/blog/2017/03/the-step-by-step-guide-to-reducing-windows-10s-on-disk-foo...

If you have a spare SD card lying around I would insert it and completely relocate the pagefile to it.  I don't see why that wouldn't be possible.  Could definitely save you quite a few GBs of space of the onboard storage where the OS and system critical files are stored and where Windows updates are installed.    

MBlakeS87
HP Recommended

Well, I tested my microSD card in an SD card adapter and installed it in my laptop's SD card slot.  I was unable to have Windows 10 create a pagefile on it; however I was able to use it as a ReadyBoost device.   Not saying it can replace the pagefile, but you could probably get away with reducing your pagefile quite a bit.  

MBlakeS87
HP Recommended

I do have a couple SD cards and several flash drives to use. My laptop is a HP Stream-ax030wm with windows 10 home-64 bit

HP Recommended

I'm not real computer savvy, but trying and wanting to learn more. What exactly do you mean by (pagefile) and what does it do?

HP Recommended

Every system has a certain amount of physical RAM (Random Access Memory) that works with the CPU to load and process applications and data.  I believe the system in question has 4GB of RAM.  Windows allows for the creation of a pagefile to be created on the hard drive in order to function in a slower but similar fashion to RAM.  A pagefile is a file on a hard drive that functions like RAM.  Pagefile's are typically managed and controlled 100% by Windows 10 unless you customize the settings.  You can alter the size of the pagefile and change its location to another drive if you have extra disks installed on a system.  The more RAM you have the less of a pagefile that you will likely need unless you have an onboard graphics device that utilizes the pagefile as shared video memory.  If you totally disable the pagefile then certain error logging events will not be logged.  The OS needs at least 125MB or so of a pagefile enabled on the partition where to OS is installed in order to carry out certain designated functions like logging certain errors.   

MBlakeS87
HP Recommended

Well I kind of understand that, but no clue how to do what your suggesting

HP Recommended
  1. Open the Control Panel by searching for the item on the Start menu
  2. Click on System and Security
  3. Then click on System
  4. Now, click on Advanced System Settings from the left menu
  5. Go into the Advanced tab and click on the button called Settings from within the Performance section
  6. Now, go into the Advanced tab and click on the Change button from within the Virtual memory section
  7. Now, uncheck the box next to the option for “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”
  8. Select the option for Custom size. Then enter the maximum and initial sizes that you desire to be limits for the file’s growth. Now hit Set, followed by OK to finish.

Those steps are in the link I put in an earlier post.  I would try reducing its size by 25% to 50% and see how the system functions.  Maybe reduce it even by 75%, especially if you have formatted a secondary SD card with ReadyBoost caching enabled on it.  Wouldn't hurt to try it.  

MBlakeS87
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.