Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 13-u163na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So the device is a HP Pavilion x360 Convertible PC (model 13-u163na) and I wonder if anyone here has been successful in updating to WIndows Update 20H2?

-Background info:

-> SSD 128GB started indicating 100% wear and the battery was already on the fritz for a year+.

-> So I replaced these with a compatible Samsung 860 EVO 500GB HDD and new battery (device out of warranty, but I am competent enough to carry out the upgrades)

-> Used Samsung Magician s/w to clone old disk to new, everything transfers fine, all sfc and dism checks work fine, machine is operating without glitches.

-> Noticed that 20H2 update was pending, so tried to apply it. Update refuses to install with errors: 0x80073712 and 0xc1900401

-> BIOS Firmware upgraded from HP site (F.40 - 11/09/2020)

So the question is, "Is this an isolated problem for my device due to some minor setting messed up or is this a model wide problem?"

I looked at this page: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05195282 which tells me that the device is not tested without any explanation why only the 13-u series is not 13-xx series are compatible.

The obvious option is to write-off the £160 expense on upgrades and buy a new machine, but this is not the time or the economy for such capital expenses. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response.

The objective is to avoid a clean re-install as it would defeat the purpose of doing the first clone.

I also don't have spare disks to make a spare image.

Mainly, I was looking to get a confirmation that 20H2 can be installed on 13-u1xxxx models and that it wouldn't be a futile exercise.

However, I am please to report that I was able to get 20H2 to install on the system using Windows Update Assistant (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10) which bypassed the standard Windows Update process and ran it successfully.

Now, all that remains are failing patches to .NET framework (Cumulative updates KB4586876), but I will explore alternatives to fully uninstall .NET framework and then install to latest.

Best Regards,

Abe

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to clean install 20H2 by making a bootable USB installer with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

This would require you to reinstall your programs and files.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion x360 - 13-u163na Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

There is an outside chance the clean install may not work, so before you try, use the free Macrium Reflect software to create a system image of your current installation.  The software will also have you create a bootable rescue drive (DVD or USB), that you boot from to access your system image.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

I have clean installed the latest builds of W10 when the inplace upgrades have failed.

As a matter of fact I have an old PC sitting on the floor that is giving the same problem as you are having, and when I get a chance I will clean install W10 20H2 on it, because I am very sure that will resolve the problem.

It's the only one in my inventory that did not smoothly go from 2004 to 20H1.

Since I don't use the PC, I am in no rush to get it done.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response.

The objective is to avoid a clean re-install as it would defeat the purpose of doing the first clone.

I also don't have spare disks to make a spare image.

Mainly, I was looking to get a confirmation that 20H2 can be installed on 13-u1xxxx models and that it wouldn't be a futile exercise.

However, I am please to report that I was able to get 20H2 to install on the system using Windows Update Assistant (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10) which bypassed the standard Windows Update process and ran it successfully.

Now, all that remains are failing patches to .NET framework (Cumulative updates KB4586876), but I will explore alternatives to fully uninstall .NET framework and then install to latest.

Best Regards,

Abe

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you were able to update to 20H2.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.