Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy x Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My husband has an Envy x360 Convertible laptop with 2 drives. One is an SSD drive that was supposed to be just for starting up the laptop. It's only 128GBs and the second drive has 903GB. Windows wanted to do an update but it said there wasn't enough room on his hard drive. My husband, not knowing much about computers asked me to look at it. I'm not an expert but in looking at it, I see his start up drive is the C drive and has Windows, plus all his software and files His laptop says he has a D drive called data but there's nothing on the D drive. It's all on the 128gb C drive. How do we change it so the 128gb drive is only for starting up the laptop and get the programs, files, and software on his drive with 903gb?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The best idea is to leave the C drive for OS and installed programs. You should move all the personal data to the larger data drive.

You can move the download folder ( image folder, documents folder ...) to the storage drive and the files will then be downloaded to the larger drive.

So, open the d drive and on it create these folders

Downoad, Pictures, Videos, Documents, Music, Desktop

next open file explorer Windows and you can see a list on the left with the default folders

iomare_0-1615928573303.png

right click on the download folder and click on properties > go to location tab > now click on move and find the folder on the d: drive you created previously. Click on OK and you will be prompted to also move all the files.

Do this for each folder (documents, pictutres...)

You can then try performing disk cleanup. Open file explorer and right click on the c drive.  Click on properties and then on disk cleanup, in the next windows which open click on clean system files and then check Windows update. Clean and delete the files.

Hope it helps,

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

The best idea is to leave the C drive for OS and installed programs. You should move all the personal data to the larger data drive.

You can move the download folder ( image folder, documents folder ...) to the storage drive and the files will then be downloaded to the larger drive.

So, open the d drive and on it create these folders

Downoad, Pictures, Videos, Documents, Music, Desktop

next open file explorer Windows and you can see a list on the left with the default folders

iomare_0-1615928573303.png

right click on the download folder and click on properties > go to location tab > now click on move and find the folder on the d: drive you created previously. Click on OK and you will be prompted to also move all the files.

Do this for each folder (documents, pictutres...)

You can then try performing disk cleanup. Open file explorer and right click on the c drive.  Click on properties and then on disk cleanup, in the next windows which open click on clean system files and then check Windows update. Clean and delete the files.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks. I tried doing that with his music folder. He has a bunch of songs in itunes which transferred to the D drive but when you click on a song to open it, it opens in a different music player. I can right click and have it open in itunes but he had different playlists for his songs and that didn't transfer over. Maybe that's an apple problem. Still working on transferring files so I don't know yet if we solved his problem of not having enough room to do a Windows update on his C drive, the start up drive.

HP Recommended

I moved all my husband's files to the D drive and was able to do the Windows update. Looks everything is good except for his itunes playlist not showing. Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.