Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I cannot acess anything to try to fix the problem. I cannot open up the start menu to get into settings. I cannot open hp help to look for updates. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey there! @AMJEWIL, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Community!

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Let's continue with the troubleshooting steps now.

1. Launch Task manager

Press the [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Del] keys on the keyboard at the same time, or right click the Taskbar, and select Task manager.

2. Run a new Windows task

When the Task manager window opens, click the More details option to expand it, then select Run new task from the File menu.

3. Run Windows PowerShell

When the Run new task dialog box opens, type powershell, tick the box for Create this task with administrative privileges and click OK.

4. Run the System File Checker

Type sfc /scannow into the window and press the [Return] key. The scan may take some time and will end with one of three results. Windows did not find any integrity violations and Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them mean there are now no corrupt files, but Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them indicates a problem.

In this latter case, type (or copy and paste) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth into the PowerShell window and press the [Return] key. This will download files from Windows Update to replace the corrupt ones and, again, this may take some time.

Also, I would suggest you enable Fast Start-Up on the system and check if it helps. To do this, follow the steps below.
1. Open Control Panel and go to Power Options.
2. Click/tap on the Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side.
3. Click/tap on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top.
4. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes. 
5. Ensure that Turn on Fast Startup is checked.
6. Restart the computer.

Try updating the BIOS and chipset driver on your PC and check if it helps.

You can try updating the drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot lock up or freezing issues with the PC.

If the issue still persists try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware on your laptop is functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on the PC.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.