Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Note book Z4Q39PA#
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

WhatsApp Image 2017-08-21 at 5.39.19 PM.jpeg Hello Greetings

I have bought a new windows laptop since one month and facing windows update issue since then I have tried many times doing so but could not succeed. it is very disappointing while u bought a system with genuine OS (Windows 10 Home) but could not able to update. Hence I have also attached one image of the issue hope to get out of it soon.

Thanks

Regards 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Rupkonwar wrote:

And any thing to keep in mind before or while updating?

Do let me know.

Nothing special - most was already mentioned or performed by you:

- data backed up (just in case something fails miserably)

- Updated drivers - based on your Windows Updates your drivers are updated so far - no other action needed now

- No 3rd antivirus/firewall/encryption software (due to incompatibility or drivers) - should be removed before the Windows version upgrade - anything like McAfee, Symantec Norton, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, AVG, Avast, etc... must be removed prior.

May be reinstalled after Windows update 1703 is installed

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hello @Rupkonwar

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum. Welcome !

Based on the screenshot I am only able to see that Windows Update fails but it remains unclear what update fails to install exactly.

I recommend you try 2 things:

- uninstall any 3rd party antivirus or security application (McAfee, etc...)

- use Windows Explorer / This PC, and go to C > Windows > Software Distributions > Download

and delete all files inside "Download" folder

- download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool for automatic fixes >> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-windows-update-troubleshooter

- if Windows Update Troubleshooter tool does not help, check this article >> https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

Does this help ? Any improvements ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks for the solutions I will definitely go through it and let you know. Here is the another pic of history of update 

PFAScreenshot.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi,

The screenshot helps.

It seems like you run an outdated version of Windows 10 - you have build 1607 - from June/July 2016

Latest stable is build 1703 - from February and March 2017

1. I recommend you follow the steps posted above - for McAfee , Windows Update troubleshooter etc...

2. Do not attempt to run Windows Update now

Instead,

3. Update to Windows 10 Creators Update build 1703 . Run the Microsoft utility from here >> https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=821363

Note that the update may take 2-3 hours to complete

4. After that when you are on the latest version, run Windows Update again to deploy the latest patches to your PC - they will be different due to the build.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended
Hello Frist of all Greetings and thanks for your support I have tried your initial instruction and got succeed in successfully updating Microsoft.NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows server 2016 for x64 (KB3186568) but un succeed in updating the 2017-08 Cumulative Update for windows 10 version 1607 i.e (KB4034658). On the other hand today I will do the windows update to the latest version as you have mentioned. and I have a doubt regarding the update can I will be able to perform the update on my own as the instruction in the website was asking to have a license to install windows 10. Thanks Regards
HP Recommended

And will the update erase all my stored data?

Is there is any need for Data Backup?

HP Recommended

though of sharing the picture for further assistance 

and sorry such consecutive messages .Screenshot001.jpg

HP Recommended

@Rupkonwar wrote:
Hello Frist of all Greetings and thanks for your support I have tried your initial instruction and got succeed in successfully updating Microsoft.NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows server 2016 for x64 (KB3186568) but un succeed in updating the 2017-08 Cumulative Update for windows 10 version 1607 i.e (KB4034658). On the other hand today I will do the windows update to the latest version as you have mentioned. and I have a doubt regarding the update can I will be able to perform the update on my own as the instruction in the website was asking to have a license to install windows 10. Thanks Regards

Hi

You are most welcome :OpenSmile:

It's good you managed to apply some of the updates.

With regards to the cumulative update for version 1607 - KB4034658:

1) You will not need it because once you upgrade to latest version 1703, the updates will be different - for version 1703

2) This update, as well as some others are known to have issues under certain systems - I just checked this in Microsoft articles and in Microsoft forums - you are not the only one to report this problem with these updates

I'd recommend you ignore them now and focus on upgrading to 1703.

Please, note that in max 2 months from now Microsoft will release a new upgrade - version 1709 - Fall Creators Update is planned to be released soon.

If you are running Windows 10, you should already have a license for it - don't worry about it. You should be able to complete it, I trust you - it is pretty straight forward process.

Let me know if something is not clear 🙂

HP Recommended

@Rupkonwar wrote:

And will the update erase all my stored data?

Is there is any need for Data Backup?

I strongly recommend you build yourself a habit of regularly creating copies and back-ups of your data - like once a week or once every month (at lease once every month).

In this case - no, this is just an update, but "more special one" , known as version upgrade, feature update, feature upgrade, etc.... It does not erase data but will revert some of your Windows settings to default ones (not all but some) - this is Microsoft design.

Yes, please back up your data now but just in case something breaks seriously - it happens rarely but just to be prepared.

You can back-up on external drives (USB pen drives, memory cards, external HDDs, etc...) or to some online storage service (Google Drive, MS OneDrive, Dropbox, etc....)

Hope this works for you.

HP Recommended

Hello 

Glad that I am going to the right path: smiley very-happy: 

will try and let you for sure... 😉 

Thank You 

Reagrds

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.