Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
14-CK1864NO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a laptop "hp 14-ck1864no" that has windows 10 version 1909. The device has received updates since march 2020. Windows update has not allowed me to get any later version than 1909, although hp, as I understand it, says that it is compatible with 20H2 (also called "the October 2020 Update ", which is the latest version). I have not installed the latest drivers from hp though, could that have something to do with it? Does anyone have any tips on why update does not give me the opportunity to update to the latest version, and also answer the question of whether it is necessary to force an update to 20H2 with the Update Assistant as soon as possible.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Nova_novice 

Microsoft (MS) ran into LOTS of issues with the 20.04 update (also called 20H1) so much so that they BLOCKED PCs with know hardware/driver problems from getting that update.  You can try forcing it by using Win10 install media you download and create yourself, but if there is an underlying hardware or drive issue, you will end up in a newer version of Win10 and have problems with the hardware.

Also, MS has now stated that v2004 is ready for widespread distribution, which would lead you to believe that they have finally removed the BLOCKS, but if yours will still not update, then clearly, that is not the case.

If you are going to force the update, then follow the instructions below to make an image backup that way, if the update goes badly, you will have something to restore FROM:

------------------------

I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 60% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 24GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Sir,

windows not updating showing that important security updates missing

HP NOTEBOOK System SKU P3C92PA#ACJ Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 

BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.28, 17-05-2019 

HP Recommended

WAWood is discussing upgrading to 20H1, but now the current version is 20H2. I assume that the Windows update is cumulative so the previous one does not also have to be installed? Thus, the installation should take place directly to 20H2 from 1909 (or 19H2 as it is also called).

Also, is it not easier to force an update with the help of the update assistant? I also wonder if anyone can answer the question if there is a reason to wait until 20H2 becomes an option in regular windows update. Is there any reason to believe it will happen soon if it has already taken so long?

HP Recommended

Can @WAWood also give us a link where microsoft "stated that v2004 is ready for widespread distribution". Thanks in advance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.