Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion x2-10n002nl
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi, I just got a Hp Pavilion x2-10n002nl with factory reset conditions, so it has Windows 8.1. I would like to update it to Windows 10 (on the box there's written that it would have got Windows 10, but Windows update doesn't find any update, it keeps running at infinite. How could I solve the problem? Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @marcbra 

Welcome to the HP Support Community.:generic:

The model does come with Windows 8.1 but it will not automatically get WIndows 10 just like that. Windows 10 is no longer offered as a free update via Windows Update. It used to be like that some years ago.

• In order to assist you, please let me know if this PC was ever upgraded to Windows 10 and if it had Windows 10 at some period.
  • Why has the been been factory reset?
  • What happened before that lead to factory reset?

Looking forward to your reply

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

First of all, thanks for the immediate reply.

I bought it second-hand, so I know nothing about it.

I tried to put the windows ISO in a usb pen and to launch it by settings-restore and update-advanced reboot but it displays "Invalid EFI file" or something similar. How can I install windows by means of a usb pen with this kind of devices? Or do you have any other solution?

HP Recommended

You are welcome!

I will provide instructions how to install Windows 10 via USB pendrive but do you have a licence for Windows 10 ?

If you do not have one at the moment, you may end up having to roll back to Windows 8.1. I am asking because it costs between 100 and 200$ and free upgraded to Windows 10 was offered in the past, not any more.

For the USB installation, you will need Windows 10 ISO written as a bootable media. Upgrade installation can be started by downloading the Media creation tool >> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows

Just run the .exe tool and follow the steps

Clean installation

Here are instructions how to clean install/reinstall Windows 10:

Video reference >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAvFm52IjI4

Windows reinstallation / clean installation :

- You can directly download Windows 10 ISO from MS site or download >> Media creation tool from Microsoft site, create installation DVD or installation USB  and  proceed with clean installation/reinstallation.

Download:

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Make sure you select the proper version (64 bit / Home or Pro) if asked.

Media Creation tool will always provide you with the latest Windows version/build - now 1709 Fall Creators Update.

- When download completes, you will need to write  the ISO image and boot from a bootable media. You will need a blank USB pendrive (min 4 GB capacity). Use the Media Creation tool.

When ready with the USB drive or with the DVD:

Please, shutdown the computer using the power button.

Insert the Windows USB thumdrive prepared previously

Power on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, start hitting the Esc button repeatedly (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the USB thumb drive as a boot option.

- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 10. Perform clean installation/custom installation (not repair).

Delete all existing partitions and install Windows on Disc 0 Unallocated space

- After successful Windows installation, install drivers taken from HP web site or via Windows Update/Device Manager >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

- Make sure Windows is Activated by going to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Activation

- You might want to stop some of the Windows Telemetry by using free tools such as Spybot AntiBeacon or DWS Lite

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.