Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15-q178ca Portable
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I sent my portable to Hp on account of a hard disk problem.  My disk contained Win 10.  They replaced the disk as my portable is still on warrantee.   For some reason that I cannot understand they shipped my portable back to me with Win 8 in it instead of my Win 10.  I am getting the run around from people on the help lines(from other countries); You should hear some of their solutions, i.e replace the chip on the MB and other stupid answers.

I am trying to get my Win 10 back, surely HP must be able to supply me with a link, but I guess that is beyond their comprehension.

Sorry for sounding so hard but at 80 years of age,  I don't have much patience left.

Maglite

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

As mentioned on my last reply, HP can only reset your machine back to its original Windows because HP does not own Microsoft products.

Many thanks to let us know Microsoft gave you free upgrade because they stopped this few days ago.

My last point: I don't know why they (from HP Support) asked you to change chip on the MB.

Have a good weekend.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Does your machine have Windows 10 pre-installed ? If yes, you can get Windows 10 back. If no HP had to bring it to its original Windows version (called Factory settings). Please post back information of your computer, what is it ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your input.  I had Win10 installed on my portable when Microsoft came out with their free offer.  When my hard disk went to disk heaven, HP replaced it and installed Win 8 instead of Win10 that was on the disk.  It does not matter now because a real nice person from Microsoft fixed my problem right away.  Win 10 is working like a charm now after they provided me with a link to install it.

I am not very proud of the service offered by HP Support.  Some guy either in India or the Phillipines told me I would have to change the chip on the MB.  The support site is only there to make money, I gather they are independant contractors.  Last year, they tried to sell me some service contract, for a fairly hefty price.  I had to shut my portable down to convince them that I was not interested.

A few weeks after they started bugging me by phone, wanting how my portable was and to again offer me their service contract.

Anyway, I doubt if I will ever buy another HP product.  The portable I bought last year is the worst one I ever owned.  I* keep it as a spare and use my great ASUS portable.  No more HP for me.

Maglite

HP Recommended

Hi,

As mentioned on my last reply, HP can only reset your machine back to its original Windows because HP does not own Microsoft products.

Many thanks to let us know Microsoft gave you free upgrade because they stopped this few days ago.

My last point: I don't know why they (from HP Support) asked you to change chip on the MB.

Have a good weekend.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.