Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Z Book G3 17
Linux

I have a new Z Book G3 that came with Windows 10 pre-installed. It has two disks. The first

is a 1 TB spinning disk and the other is a 256 GB SSD. Nothing is on the SSD.

I'm attempting to create a dual-boot machine with Fedora Core 24 as the other OS.

I've resized the Windows partition using Disk Management, and that seems to have been successful because I can still boot into Windows 10.

I've tried to install FC 22 and various versions of FC 24, as well as Ubuntu 16.04 with no success. I'm using FC iso DVDs in a USB DVD drive as the install media.

The installation from the live meda FC disk goes well until a certain point. The last line printed to the screen by the installer is always:

[ OK ] Started User Manager for UID 1000

Then it hangs forever.

There are hundreds of lines before that line, but I can't figure out how to capture them. The lines just above the failure are:

[ OK ] Created slice User Slice of liveuser

Starting User Manager for UID 1000

[ OK ] Started Session 1 of user liveuser

I've got Secure Boot disabled and Legacy Boot enabled in the BIOS.

I've also tried the "Troubleshooting" low-res graphics installation option of the FC iso DVDs. Same result.

I've checked the integrity of the installation iso's using SHA256SUM.

I've had similar (not identical) problems with Ubuntu.

Anyone have any suggestions for how I can install linux on this Z Book?

Chad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I now have both Ubuntu 16.04 and CentOS 7 installed alongside Windows 10.

For any other linux users that want to install linii on HP Z Book G3 computers, here is a recap of what I did to enable the installations:

1. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Installed using iso DVD through USB DVD player. To install, get into the BIOS (hit escape repeatedly just after power up). Choose BIOS Settings or the like, Install From File, then navigate to the correct file associated with the USB drive.

Ubuntu install screen is normal, and informs you of how to access the installer command line. Do so, and add "nomodeset" to the command line, near "ro" and "quiet". Proceed with the installation. Once installed, you will need to modify the grub set up to include "nomodeset" as a standard kernel option. Edit /etc/grub.d/10_linux and add "nomodeset" just before " ro ". There's probably a better way.

2. CentOS 7. I ended up creating a bootable USB thumb drive using dd and a dowloaded iso file. See

https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey. When installing, you need to get into the BIOS as in (1) above. Once you boot from the file, you'll be presented with a mangled installation greeting screen. You can still edit the installer command line using 'e'. Add "nomodeset" as before, then hit F10. Everything should be normal after that, you'll see the CentOS graphical installation screens. Unlike Ubuntu, once you've installed CentOS, you don't need to modify the grub set up. I have no idea why. (I'm in over my head here.)

3. Fedora Core 24. No success to report, but now that I have Ubuntu and CentOS up, alongside W10, I don't need to pursue this further for now. I suspect that the steps in (2) above, or similar, will work. You'll have to "fly blind" during the modification of the installer command line and may have to adjust grub post-install.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

When I try to install Ubuntu 16.04, I can get to the Ubuntu installation screen, which asks if I want to try Ubuntu, or install it, etc. I choose install, and I see the following:

[  0.000000] efi: requested map not found.

[  0.000000] esrt: ESRT header is not in the memory map.

[ 9.330271] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: priv: HUB0: 614900  008000000 (1a408200)

[ 44....        ] NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU #1 stuck for 21s! [plymouthd: 1539]

Then it continues telling me CPU #1 is stuck.

On other tries, CPU #2 is stuck.

nouveau is a clue that there is something going on with the video driver?

HP Recommended

For the Ubuntu case, I accessed the install command line and added "nomodeset". That gets me to the usual

graphical Ubuntu installation screens. How can I do that for FC 24 live media?

HP Recommended

Update.

Ubuntu is installed. I had to modify grub files to make sure kernel options included "nomodeset".

I've since also tried to install CentOS 7. I get similar behavior as with the Ubuntu install that does NOT use "nomodeset".

It seems the obstacle for both FC and CentOS is that I cannot access the installer commands. I believe I'm supposed to be able to, but something about the Z Book is preventing it, whereas it does not prevent it in the Ubuntu case. Once the installer screen appears, I cannot access any options by using the shift key, tab, etc.

Advice?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I now have both Ubuntu 16.04 and CentOS 7 installed alongside Windows 10.

For any other linux users that want to install linii on HP Z Book G3 computers, here is a recap of what I did to enable the installations:

1. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Installed using iso DVD through USB DVD player. To install, get into the BIOS (hit escape repeatedly just after power up). Choose BIOS Settings or the like, Install From File, then navigate to the correct file associated with the USB drive.

Ubuntu install screen is normal, and informs you of how to access the installer command line. Do so, and add "nomodeset" to the command line, near "ro" and "quiet". Proceed with the installation. Once installed, you will need to modify the grub set up to include "nomodeset" as a standard kernel option. Edit /etc/grub.d/10_linux and add "nomodeset" just before " ro ". There's probably a better way.

2. CentOS 7. I ended up creating a bootable USB thumb drive using dd and a dowloaded iso file. See

https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey. When installing, you need to get into the BIOS as in (1) above. Once you boot from the file, you'll be presented with a mangled installation greeting screen. You can still edit the installer command line using 'e'. Add "nomodeset" as before, then hit F10. Everything should be normal after that, you'll see the CentOS graphical installation screens. Unlike Ubuntu, once you've installed CentOS, you don't need to modify the grub set up. I have no idea why. (I'm in over my head here.)

3. Fedora Core 24. No success to report, but now that I have Ubuntu and CentOS up, alongside W10, I don't need to pursue this further for now. I suspect that the steps in (2) above, or similar, will work. You'll have to "fly blind" during the modification of the installer command line and may have to adjust grub post-install.

HP Recommended

Installing UBUNTU  from a CD

At the begining on the screen the two messages : efi requested map not found

ESRT header is not in memory

then the installations begins with the screen UBUNTU  but  after reading the CD (a few minutes)

UBUNTU  does'not start and the screen UBUNTU remains.

It's  a HP laptop  ZBOOK  G3  with Intel Xenix

UBUNTU  is release 16.04  LTS

Sombody tells me : may be a problem of graphics with driver missing in UBUNTU for the screen of the ZBOOK G3  ?

but what is the meaning of the two messages above  ?

I would like to use  my "very expensive" laptop with UBUNTU because it's really quicker than Windows for programs of

mathematics in 64 bits.

Please give me clues or solutions to start UBUNTU.

p.s. I registerd in french but answer me in english and  excuse for the mistakes

HP Recommended

Did you try to follow my Ubuntu installation instructions in the post you are replying to?

Are you trying to install from a DVD using an external DVD player? (I notice you say "CD" so I'm confused.)

HP Recommended

It was an external DVD player plugged on two USB ports of the zBOOK G3

Tell me what's the meaning of the two messages :

efi requested map not found

ESRT header is not in memory 

I have just a limited grub menu and can't access the installer command line

HP Recommended

I don't know the meaning of those messages.

Perhaps you might create an alternate boot disk with a different linux distribution? Like CentOS?

HP Recommended

Go into the BIOS, switch the display mode from "Auto" to "Discreet" under Built-In Device Options

Power-On
Press "F10" to enter BIOS Setup
Navigate to "Advanced"
Navigate to "Built-in Device Options"
Set "Graphics" to "Discrete Graphics"  (Other options are "Hybrid" and "Auto")
Save and Reboot

Problem Solved.  Should be able to Boot and Install at will.   (Works with Fedora 30)

Linux has traditionally had issues with laptops with internal and external video..  Best bet is just to force it to pick one..  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.