Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 TS Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have just powered up the unit and I have noticed that the power supply states 0% available plugged in not charging. I tested the battery with the HP onboard diagnostics which states the battery is good.

I have also tried to update to win 10. It appears to start but then fails. After it fails the unit powers down. Once I restart it get the screen splash stating undoing changes made to your computer. After this happens I get an error code.  We couldn't install windows 10. We've set your pc back to the way it was right before you started installing windows 10

CODE: 0xC1900101-0x30018

The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE operation.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Madbales 

You said you just started using this PC, but is it new or is it used?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I am not sure if I answered the previous email?

The computer is brand new I had found it on the shelf in the closet. Any ideas on how I can update the software to windows 10 as well as get the battery to start charging.

Unfortunately HP won't speak with me do to being out of warranty.

I hate to just throw the unit out!

HP Recommended

@Madbales 

This model came out in 2013 -- so yours could be that old.

Not ALL Win7 PCs can be updated successfully to Win10.  When Win10 first came out, MS was pushing the update on folks so nearly everything updated.  But since then, MS has been increasing the hardware demands and the sorry fact could just be that your model won't update now.

Windows Update, while the most convenient way to do the Win10 Upgrade, is also the least reliable and most troublesome.  What MIGHT work better is using another PC to download and create Win10 media from this link:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You use that link to create media that can be used to boot your PC, probably a USB stick.  Then you boot your PC and follow the directions.  IF it won't upgrade from that media, it's not going to upgrade.

But, you also need to be aware that a Win10 Upgrade is known to corrupt the HP recovery information, so if it fails, you won't be able to rollback to Win7 and you will basically have a useless PC.

As to the battery issue, some model laptops simply won't boot if the battery is dead.  The only way, since your laptop won't work, to see if the charger is any good is to connect it to a different laptop.  I doubt the charger is bad, but unless you can get yours up and running, you have no way to run tests on it.  And, if the battery is completely dead, it will not charge.  

Same is true of the battery -- you have to get your laptop up and running to do battery testing.

HP Recommended

This unit has windows 8.1 on it

processor i3-4005u 1.7 ghz

ram 4.00 gm

system type 64 bit operating system x64 based processor

pen and touch    full windows touch support

The computer will boot up but the battery will not charge. as soon as I pull out the cord the computer will shut right off.

I am currently using it right know to write to you

HP Recommended

@Madbales 

OK, thanks for the update.

What you describe could be the battery not charging or not holding a charge and/or the charger not working.

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:
http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00259897
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03325217
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00363266?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0006

HP Recommended

Looking in the tray it shows a plug as well as a battery. putting my pointer over that area it says 0%available(plugged in not charging)

HP Recommended

@Madbales 

Run the troubleshooting links.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.