Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv7-7212nr Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

After replacing a failed hard disk, I am having problems getting Win 8.1 Pro to activate. 

The system does boot, requests activation but if you close the window, the systems appears to work. In the lower right corner of the desktop there is a "Windows 8.1 Pro Build 9600" watermark.

There is no product key sticker on the laptop and I do not have any original distribution CDs or certificate.

slmgr/xpr   ===

gives a pop-up that says "Windows(R), Professional edition: Windows is in Notification mode."

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

gives me what appears to be a product key

if I do slui 3 and enter the product key found, I get the message "That key can't be used to activate this edition of Windows. Please try a different key"

if I do a slmgr.vbs /ato, I get the message "The activation server determined that specified product key is blocked"

If I call the Microsoft phone activation number, after giving the installation ID numbers, I am told it can not verify my install.

At this point, what activation problem I need to fix or if I buy another 8.1 product key (even though this is a reinstall on the same laptop with a new hard disk) or if I just pay to jump to Windows 10 (I do not think this laptop will support Win11).  I was hoping I could get the 8.1 reinstalled and then jumping to Win10 which I think would be free.

I would appreciate any help others can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The product specs for your notebook indicate that it came from HP with W8 'Standard.'

HP ENVY dv7-7212nr Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

The W8 standard product key is in your notebook's BIOS and cannot be used to activate W8.1 Professional.

What you need to do is this...

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC, if yours is not working...You want the plain W8.1 64 bit ISO file.

You do not need to enter any product key to download the ISO file.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

At the beginning of the installation routine, you can delete every partition on the hard drive.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, use this generic key.

This is the generic key for W8.1 'standard.'

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

If you had to enter the generic key, manually change the generic product key to the W8 'standard' key in your PC's BIOS in the PC settings menu.

After you get W8.1 installed, and you had to manually enter the generic product key, you will need to run the free utility I zipped up and attached below, that will show you show the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

I have also zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive, so it is bootable, or you can use a different utility such as Rufus.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Then you can install the available drivers and software from the PC's support page.

HP ENVY dv7-7212nr Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

After you get that sorted out, you can upgrade to W10 for free by clicking on the blue Update Now button at the link below...

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The product specs for your notebook indicate that it came from HP with W8 'Standard.'

HP ENVY dv7-7212nr Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

The W8 standard product key is in your notebook's BIOS and cannot be used to activate W8.1 Professional.

What you need to do is this...

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC, if yours is not working...You want the plain W8.1 64 bit ISO file.

You do not need to enter any product key to download the ISO file.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

At the beginning of the installation routine, you can delete every partition on the hard drive.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, use this generic key.

This is the generic key for W8.1 'standard.'

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

If you had to enter the generic key, manually change the generic product key to the W8 'standard' key in your PC's BIOS in the PC settings menu.

After you get W8.1 installed, and you had to manually enter the generic product key, you will need to run the free utility I zipped up and attached below, that will show you show the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

I have also zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive, so it is bootable, or you can use a different utility such as Rufus.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Then you can install the available drivers and software from the PC's support page.

HP ENVY dv7-7212nr Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

After you get that sorted out, you can upgrade to W10 for free by clicking on the blue Update Now button at the link below...

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

HP Recommended

Thanks for spotting that simple upfront mistake. I guess I have this system crossed with another system that has Win 8.1 Pro. Hmmmm.

Just had to install the 8.1 regular and things all sorted out as the original product and license keys matched up for activations.

Thanks for the double checking support!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.