Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 6409
Microsoft Windows Vista
i am having some problems with my hp dv6000 entertainment laptop pc when i got it i couldnt get to the bios so i replaced the hard drive tried to install windows vista got a message driver needed is missing from this computer i bought a dvd on ebay was suppose to have all drivers needed for my ios now there are new folders with settings icons on them when i clicked to open them i had the option to install but when i clicked on it i got a white page with what look like the system info i guess a bunch of symbols and letters am i missing something i have no idea which drivers i need to install or how to install them i have no operating system on the computer tried to boot and recover from the f8 menu but i get a message no backup image found on this computer insert the backup recover disk or the second disk click okay but it still does not load or install the os is there away to download the recovery tool to a usb drive from my chromebook (it has no cd/dvd drive) to install on my dv6409
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @karenz64 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.

I will try to help but before that I will:

- ask you a couple of questions

- provide a disclaimer

Note that your PC model is very old. It must be slower than the average home or home-offce PC that operates today.

Running unknown 3rd party discs from ebay is risky.

Also, the operating system which you would like to install - Windows Vista is long ago unsupported by PC vendors and by its vendor Microsoft >> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22882/windows-vista-end-of-support

Therefore,

• No support is guaranteed
  • No 100% success is guaranteed by vendor
  • Your PC may be more vulnerable to latest security threats
  • There are certain popular apps which will not run on Vista and may even fail to install or fail to start

If you agree on using Vista, let me know

I see there are several version of dv6409 - post back your full exact HP product model and product number - here is how to find the information >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Screenshot_2020-01-26_21-39-04.png

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

@karenz64 

I don't know what you mean by "recovery tool" but HP has not provided such an item for Vista for some years now and the one they do provide that is downloadable only works for selective PCs built after 2016.

HP also no longer provide online support for Vista-era PCs, so there is no HP page you can go to to download drivers or other software.

The unfortunate situation is that you really need to consider replacing this really old, and now unsupported, PC with something newer.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

my hp is a dv6409us could i instead of vista could i do win10 if i got a good version of it with everything it takes the ios and the drivers required  i do understand my device is old and risks are apparent i really like the laptop and would really like to  fix it and use it thank you for your input and any other advice or help you can give to me

HP Recommended

@karenz64 

My best guess is that it would NOT work well on Win10 -- primarily because the hardware is so old there are not likely to be any drivers for it that will work under Win10.

Also, there is no Upgrade Path from Vista to Win10 -- that means there is no way to transfer your settings, data, and applications from Vista to Win10.  Instead, you would have to install fresh and you would lose everything in the process.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi @karenz64 

If you want to restore Vista, its drivers, etc -> purchase the recovery kit from CS, use the kit (first disc) to boot from it [F9] and install Vista, HP software and drivers.

If you decide to give Windows 10 a try .....
I agree with @WAWood  that Windows 10 may not work well on your PC due to the slightly higher requirements generally, your PC's old and slow hardware and the potential lack of some drivers. You have two options:

-1-  give Windows 10 a try on this PC and decide on your own how it runs and if is OK for you

-2-  purchase another HP computer - new one or a second hand refurbished option

Let me/us know which one you will want to try/proceed and further details will be posted based on your choice and needs.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.