Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Notebook - 11-r001na (ENERGY STAR)

hi

my computer won't start up, the HP logo comes on, then it goes to a black screen turns itself off then goes through the whole process again and again.

Regards

alun

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Alun,

It's 64 bit , Home edition - it should be this. I have bolded this above. The PC originally comes wth 64-bit edition of Windows 10 Home. I just typed it somewhat more generic because some users change it eventually (e.g. they may have upgraded to Win 10 Pro).

So, if you haven't changed anything - Windows 10 Home - 64 bit

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

Actually, your PC can start and it started. What you describe is happening because Windows cannot start/boot .It may be caused due to simple Windows hung, hardware problem (e.g. your HDD) or it may be caused by faulty Windows Update, some other faulty update/driver, corrupted bootloader / Boot Configuration Data in Windows etc....

1. Try hard restart/hard reset.

Press the power on-button on your PC and hold it for about 5-10 seconds until your computer powers off completely.

Remove and unplug any external periferals and accessories.

Press once the power-on button to turn on the PC and wait if it will start now. Wait...

If it still fails to load properly, go ahead with the next steps

2. Perform some basic hardware checks to rule out hardware problem

- Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold for a few seconds until PC powers off)

- Power the computer back on.

As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu

- Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD (hard disk drive) and RAM check (memory check).

Let me know the test results. If the tests pass without issues, continue. If not, please, let me know

3. Repeat steps 1-2 above but when HP Startup menu opens, please choose F11 for System Recovery options.

The computer should boot from it's recovery partition to open you various recovery options. Note, that F11 option will only work if the recovery partition is there (not deleted) and intact. From there, you have prenty of options to choose from. Every HP computer comes with recovery partition present to assist in tough moments.

Please, perform "System Restore" first in an attempt to fix the issue. Please, restore back to previous days (restore point) where the issue was not present. Here is more info:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545#AbT5

>> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Provide your feedback/reply.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

hi and thanks for reply

I have done steps one and two, the first one made no difference and the second came up with no problems detected in the test.

The third step won't let me get past the password for startup repair, system restore, reset this pc (using 'keep my files') and the oly option that doesn't ask for a password is 'Reset this PC' which when it gets to about 49% tells me that something has gone wrong and it cannot reset.

I'm assuming that the 'password' for the repair options is as an administrator as it's not using the password for the user who the notebook belongs to.

I went into BIOS to try and set an administrative password but it's not accepting that either.

Regards

Alun

HP Recommended

@Alun99 wrote:

The third step won't let me get past the password for startup repair, system restore, reset this pc (using 'keep my files') and the oly option that doesn't ask for a password is 'Reset this PC' which when it gets to about 49% tells me that something has gone wrong and it cannot reset.

Yes, if you want to keep files,  you need the admin password - you must be the PC admin to complete this process.

Reset this PC with the option to erase everything doesn't need any password, though

Alun99 wrote:.

I'm assuming that the 'password' for the repair options is as an administrator as it's not using the password for the user who the notebook belongs to.

Usually, the admin (with admin password) is the primary user and owner of the PC

@Alun99 wrote:

I went into BIOS to try and set an administrative password but it's not accepting that either.

The BIOS password is BIOS password. It has nothing to do with your Windows password. Please, don't mess with them and don't mix them up.

HP Recommended

For some reason the recovery partition of this computer is corrupted and the recovery cannot complete - you reported it gets stuck at about half the process (49%). Your PC model comes with Windows 10 Home preinstalled.

There are 2 options to completing its recovery:

1) Official one -> purchase HP Recovery USB drive - costs about 42 pounds and will restore Windows, drivers, preinstalled apps to a factory default condition - option may be slightly easier for an end user. Can be purchased via this HP partner  >> https://www.best2serve.com/en-gb/page/rcd_hardware_related_products/?product_type_id=4&hardware_prod...

Once you receive it, you need to boot from it (from the USB) and reinstall Windows >> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&section=ccweb&sfs=tdoc&lc=en&language=e...

2) Unofficial one -> reinstall Windows, perform clean installation. Option is free but may be slightly more difficult for an end user. Here are the details

- You can directly download Windows 10 ISO from MS site or download >> Media creation tool from Microsoft site, create installation DVD or installation USB  and  proceed with clean installation/reinstallation.

Download:

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Make sure you select the proper version (32 or 64 bit  /  Home or Pro) 

Media Creation tool will always provide you with the latest Windows version/build - now 1709 Fall Creators Update.

- When download completes, you will need to write  the ISO image and boot from a bootable media. You will need a blank emplty USB pendrive (min 4 GB capacity). Use the Media Creation tool.

When ready with the USB drive :

Please, shutdown the computer using the power button.

Insert the Windows USB thumdrive prepared previously

Power on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, start hitting the Esc button repeatedly (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the USB thumb drive as a boot option.

- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 10. Perform clean installation/custom installation (not repair).

Delete all existing partitions and install Windows on Disc 0 Unallocated space

- After successful Windows installation, install drivers taken from HP web site or via Windows Update/Device Manager >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

- Make sure Windows is Activated by going to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Activation

- You may wish to stop some of the Windows Telemetry by using free tools such as Spybot AntiBeacon or DWS Lite

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for your reply

I have no way of knowing if it's 32 or 64 bit as I can't access the computer information.

HP Stream Notebook - 11-r001na (ENERGY STAR)

serial number - [edited]

product number - P0H70EA

Can you find out from this information as I can't.

I would like to try the unofficial repair rather than spend the £42

Regards

Alun

HP Recommended

Hi Alun,

It's 64 bit , Home edition - it should be this. I have bolded this above. The PC originally comes wth 64-bit edition of Windows 10 Home. I just typed it somewhat more generic because some users change it eventually (e.g. they may have upgraded to Win 10 Pro).

So, if you haven't changed anything - Windows 10 Home - 64 bit

Let me know how it goes 🙂

HP Recommended

Hey

Thanks a lot. I did it the unoffiocial way, and it worked a treat

thanks for your help

Alun

HP Recommended

You are most welcome, @Alun99

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.