Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Chromebox
Chrome OS

I recently bought a HP chromebox to use it for a kiosk application. However, to completely install the kiosk application in the way I need to, I need to get into developer mode.  According to instructions I have to 

To invoke developer/recovery mode, you insert a paper clip and press the RESET BUTTON (just beside the kensington lock) and press the Power button. Release the RESET BUTTON after a second.

To enter Dev-mode you first invoke Recovery, and at the Recovery screen press Ctrl-D (there's no prompt - you have to know to do it). It will ask you to confirm by pressing the reset BUTTON again.

Dev-mode works the same as always: It will show the scary boot screen and you need to press Ctrl-D or wait 30 seconds to continue booting.

however, when I do that the box does not send any video signal to my HDMI display so I am completely in the dark as to what happens, if anything. I tried this with a wired USB keyboard and with a wireless USB keyboard, same result: nothing seems to happen.

Who has any idea to get into developer mode on thisHP  chromebox ?(Not a chromebook)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @StephanvR,

Steps performed by you to enter into Dev Mode seems to be correct. 

As you mentioned that you have connected Display through HDMI and there is no Display.

Hence , you may try to connect to Display Port (DP) and check whether it gives any display.

I hope that answers your question. 🙂

I am an HP employee, the opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to acknowledge the post ***

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @StephanvR,

Steps performed by you to enter into Dev Mode seems to be correct. 

As you mentioned that you have connected Display through HDMI and there is no Display.

Hence , you may try to connect to Display Port (DP) and check whether it gives any display.

I hope that answers your question. 🙂

I am an HP employee, the opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to acknowledge the post ***

HP Recommended

had you considered using the Displayport output to see if it provides video output in Developer Mode?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had not, until you guys suggested this.  And it works! thank you !

HP Recommended

You're welcome!

🙂

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.