Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I have an Envy 17 with Win 7 ultimate SP 1.
the system has a intel i7-3610QM and a ATI/AMD Radeon HD 7850M W/ 12 GB ram and a seagate 750GB hybrid Hdd

I am trying to restore my OS onto a new WD Blue 500GB SSD.

The system has met the black screen of endless failed reboots after what appeared to be some kind of critical error due to "an update" of some kind I did not see scheduled anywhere. The system went to a black screen and forced a hard shut down. I have been unable to find a way forward. I get one "pseudo normal boot after I uninstall the display driver but the following reboot or shutdown and start normally goes to a black screen after the orbs and starting windows.

I have tried to reinstall the operating system using the HP recovery DVDs I bought when I bought the system. every time I run the recovery it fails with the message from CTOERROR.flg

"ChkErrBB.CMD : Detect some error during PININST_BBV"

and the error is a missing driver.
1) can I add the driver and restart the system recovery?
I have the WinPE / Windows 7 AIK on another computer.

I can use DISM to add the drivers,

does anyone know how to restart the system recovery?

I know I may have a virus; if so it is pernicious. thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @codymk39,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

HP Recommended

Dear HP community.

The flaw in my recovery disks is in a recovery disk set purchased from HP when I bought my computer which is an HP ENVY 17t-3200 CTO 3D Edition Notebook PC. Those disks purchased from HP will not rebuild (recover) my computer as they contain an internal issue where the failure log says they do not find a particular (apparently 3D) driver. My desire to rebuild the operating system to the install default was to repair a system issue which may be the result of a video chip problem. I believe this is referred to as a "glitch" of some kind. No one seems to know but your advice is to rebuild my computer (which failed) or go buy another one neither of which response is helpful.

I find it difficult to understand how any of you would think that telling me it is out of warranty on what is a flaw in your own product that will not be seen until the machine fails at some later date well away from the warranty period is deserving of anything but scorn, contempt and disdain. Perhaps the use of logic and reason is the issue as you seem to be confused. I bought your materials and they do not work on your product. Silly me, I did not try to rebuild my computer immediately after it arrived new or I would have found this issue. Pehaps you consider this to be my mistake.

This is an HP issue. Your engineers, and technicians did a wonderful job designing and building my computer.Internally it is magnificent and it performed wonderfully. I did not mind spending the money on it even though it was quite expensive. It was what I wanted when I bought it and it has done well for me up to now. I suppose it is my fault that I did not do a better job of investigating what it means when you put a M (mobile) GPU in and solder it to the board which we will never be able to repair, or that an OEM version of a Microsoft operating system is a very different thing from a direct purchase so that I cannot get an ISO image to rebuild my computer.

Doubtless you are unconcerned that I will never buy a computer from you again and I will never again trust you in any measure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.