Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13-d053sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had this HP Envy 13-d053sa (factory installed Win10) for a couple of months now, always permitting me to sign-in with my fingerprint until today.

Today I found that I had lost my PIN code and my fingerprint sign-in option had disappeared from the settings menu. I managed to set up a new PIN, but the fingerprint option remains unavailable (not even any flashing light on the device itself). (Incidentally, Norton Internet Security also stopped working and I had to remove and re-install it.)

I updated the fingerprint device driver through the HP updater webpage, but still no joy.

How do I get fingerprint back in my sign-in options please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yay! System Restore sorted it!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Andy_Kay

Worth checking:

• It is possible that Norton is starting "too soon" in the boot process and is blocking the fingerprint scanner.  If there is an option to do so in the Norton software, set it in Services (or in the Norton software itself) for a "Delayed start". 
  • It is also possible the Norton software is blocking the fingerprint / logon software >> this is something you would need to check / enable / allow in the Norton Security software.

Next:

Start > Settings > Account > Sign-in Options > Under Windows Hello > Fingerprint >>

Click Remove to remove any stored / enrolled fingerprints

You might need to reboot at this point...

In Settings > Sign-in Options > Fingerprint >> "Add" / "enroll" fingerprints

Reboot at this point and log in.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Seems to be no way to delay Norton, but it was never a problem before.

Sign-in options does not show "Windows Hello". I haven't seen this "Hello" thing before and I don't know what it is.

HP Recommended

@Andy_Kay

@Andy_Kay wrote:

Seems to be no way to delay Norton, but it was never a problem before.

Sign-in options does not show "Windows Hello". I haven't seen this "Hello" thing before and I don't know what it is.

Windows Hello is a method of logging into your computer introduced and managed by the Windows Operating System.  For systems providing a high-grade camera, Windows Hello can help you log in using your "face" (facial recognition).  For computers with a usable fingerprint scanner (that is, a scanner for which there is a compatible fingerprint Driver), Windows Hello -- after having assigned a PIN for extra security -- can allow you to log into your computer with a fingerprint swipe.

Information:

Add or Remove Fingerprint logon - Windows 10

Get Started with Windows 10 – Windows Hello

In general, Windows Hello, the PIN, and the initial logon that can make use of your fingerprint scanner,  are all managed by the Windows 10 Operating System.  The setup, the settings, and the control of the devices (camera or fingeprint scanner) are not dependent on any third party security software.

The logon setup is dependent on the computer having proper, usable, and up-to-date Drivers for those devices being used (camera, fingeprint scanner).

In the case of the camera, for the few systems supporting this option, the computer must provide the Driver that allows the camera to be functional.

In the case of the fingerprint scanner, Windows will attempt to use a generic fingeprint scanner Driver that comes built into Windows.  In the event that Windows does not have a usuable built-in Driver, the user / owner / computer operating must provide a Driver (from the computer's Website Driver support page).

In some cases, the sign-in options may have glitched due to a recent Windows Update.  If there is the case here, the question is whether the Updates are to blame due to an introduced "bug" or whether the Operating System is in need (perhaps) of a cold boot (boot from a complete off condition).  It is sometimes the case, that just restarting everything on the (home network), including the router, might bring things back into working order.

Help, suggestions, and examples:

Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Read the first page: Dragon Document Guidelines

Sections of interest include:

• Order of Events is important
  • Change Sign-In Options
  • Procedure - Update / (Re) Install HP SimplePass

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks Dragon-Fur, but I still have the problem that Sign-in options does not show "Windows Hello". 

What it shows are "Require Sign-in", "Password", "PIN", "Picture Password", and "Related Settings", none of which get me to anything like "fingerprint" or "Windows Hello". I despair.

HP Recommended

Hunting around on the web it seems that many people have the same problem of Windows Hello being absent from Settings. I've had this laptop just long enough to begin to appreciate the fingerprint scanner, and now it's been whisked away from me without explanation. I hate the fact that I have to spend half my waking hours chasing problems that appear out of nowhere on these machines. I guess I'll just have to get used to using my PIN again.

HP Recommended

Yay! System Restore sorted it!

HP Recommended

@Andy_Kay

Printed / Authored "after the fact" -- crossed posts while typing...

I am glad your issue is resolved.

System Restore is magic.  Smiling.

=====================================================================

Leaving this part in for other readers:

It is true that you must assign the PIN number -- whether or not you want to do so, and whether or not you expect to use the PIN.  Having assigned the PIN, the rest should show up on the Sign-in options.

Assuming you have assigned a PIN -- and that you can actually log on using that PIN:

Perhaps the Windows logon software is not able to use its own Driver -- OR it cannot / will not see the Driver you installed - OR - the software sees the driver (whatever is installed) and cannot use it.

You might test the PIN logon:

Start the system >

Click on the lock screen so you see your login USERID (account name used to log in) >

Click Sign-in Options > hover your mouse over the login options > Click on the icon for PIN >

use your pin to log into your account

Green_Line_1.jpg

Removing the fingerprint Driver you installed may kick the Sign-in options

File name: sp74365.exe

Release details

Released: Jan 15, 2016

Version 4.5.327.0 Rev.A

• Download the Synaptics Validity Driver to your system
  • Create a Restore Point
  • Open your Device Manager > Biometrics > Right-Click on the fingerprint driver >
  • Uninstall AND tick the box to delete the Driver

• Shut down the computer  > wait a few seconds > boot and log in

• Check your Settings > Account > Sign-in Options

If no joy, it is time to install the Driver

• Install your downloaded Driver
  • Shut down the computer > wait a few seconds > boot and log in

• Check Settings > Account > Sign-in Options

Not verified:  You may need to remove / check / delete the driver more than one time.  This is a guess based on one member's experience.

Green_Line_1.jpg

Although this (next) section does not answer the problem of the Windows Hello not showing up, if you had already installed Series 8 HP SimplePass (the program is still on the computer) and if you have been using it, the following might be useful in context.

Toggle the website logon setup within SimplePass.

Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Section:

• Reset / Edit / Website / Sign-in – Series 8 HP SimplePass

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Commentary

Because you are messing with the logon for your computer, I do strongly advise you to create an extra Admin account as desribed in Section

• Safe-House Account – Options for Access, Secondary Administrative Account

There is no harm in deleting the fingerprint driver from the Device Manager.  It can be installed from the downloaded file.

There is no harm in uninstalling HP SimplePass (if you have it on the computer).  In fact, since the Windows Hello > PIN assigned > fingerprint setting is not showing up at this time, it might even be better that HP SimplePass is NOT on the computer.  You need to have the Native Windows fingerprint logon working before you can think about using SimplePass.

When you do get to the point where you want to use SimplePass, use the latest version (link available in the Dragon Document).

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for introducing me to HP SimplePass... familiarising myself with it now.

Edit: doesn't work for Edge. Finding it useful for IE.

HP Recommended

@Andy_Kay

@Andy_Kay wrote:

Thanks for introducing me to HP SimplePass... familiarising myself with it now.

Edit: doesn't work for Edge. Finding it useful for IE.

Not much of anything works in Edge - yet.  Hopefully, things will get better.  Smiling.

The latest version of Series 8 SimplePass (V8.0.1.53A and later) should work in Firefox (46.x and beyond), and -- wait for it -- Chrome is back!  Chrome users rejoice!

Have fun -- remember: 

• Windows loves a good Restart -- Windows 10 is no exception
  • Create / Have on hand that "extra" admin account... just in case

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.