Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY m6
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Computer came with Simple Pass finger print reader.  Won't let me program Windows log on unless I enter Windows log on password.  I DO but it says "incorrect from what was originally password."

I don't know what that would be, (tried all old passwords)  so I want to ERASE ALL RETAINED DATA and reinstall.  

ADD/REMOVE program removes program but data retained.  Then deleted Validity Sensor under Biometric devices so all data should be gone but upon reinstall it still says i have wrong password!

Where else is this data kept on computer and how can i remove so I can fix program?

Anyone familiar with Simplepass or recommend another fingerprint program that would work with HP Envy?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

fmhawaii

I have no idea what kind of information you have reloaded from the Internet. 

I have not in my life ever removed a folder from the Device Manager, although it appears it has not made things worse.  Windows is tough.

Edits to correct and add clarity

I was  not aware you have already uninstalled HP SimplePass six several times having not conversed with you on the subject.

In particular, the combination of removing the software, performing the Hard Reset as directed, then installing the Driver and software as instructed, can have a positive and corrective result.  Had you tried that combination previously and had I understood that to have been the case, I would not have advised you to try it again.  

Sometimes it is useful to try again the same steps again and again, although in most cases this amounts to banging one's head on the desk.  Smiley Frustrated

===========================================================================

I agree that Series 6 HP SimplePass is no longer updated.  The company that wrote the Series 6 program sold itself to Apple -- HP had nothing to do with that.  Yelling does little.  HP is no doubt just as disappointed as the rest of us.

The error you face is one of the toughest to resolve.  You are not the only one to whom this has happened; it is not all that common, but it is a nasty bit of business.

======================================================================

Some people have reported that, in the end,  just reloading the OS is the only way to fix this. 

You do have to reload your installed programs afterwards -- Refresh is not without consequences in that you must reinstall everything that is not part of the basic OS. 

READ before you use this option.

Refresh Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 😎

I understand you are frustrated and I am sorry for that.  Of the several ways to have broken the file system, this is one of the more difficult to fix. 

You could certainly try using another account.

Create a User Account with Administrative Privileges – Windows 8-8.1

Less likely options:

You could try system Maintenance -- clear all your Temp folders and the like, Internet Temp files, too.

Improving System Performance without Adding Memory (Windows 😎

You could try options to repair the File System, although no one has yet determined the precise nature of this error so finding it is a challenge.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8

The fact, should you want to hear it, is that the Series 6 AuthenTec HP SimplePass program is the more  robust, full featured, full-on kick-it fingerprint program available of the two Series available at the moment.    OK, not fact -- just opinion.  Smiling.

====================================================

You can certainly, try the Series 8 HP SimplePass:

Series 8 works with Internet Explorer.

Series 8 is Supported and will occasionally be updated. 

Series 8 is written by Softex.  No rumors yet of Softex selling itself to Apple...

Series 8 is not as robust in terms of features, it is deemed somewhat fragil.

Series 8 appearance is different:  cleaner, lean.

See the section in the Dragon Document titled:

Switch HP SimplePass Series (6 to 8 or 8 to 6)

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to say Thank You!

And...Click Accept as Solution when my Answer provides a Fix or Workaround!

I am pleased to provide assistance on behalf of HP. I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

fmhawaii

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

The data is kept within the secure program database -- you can remove the program; you cannot edit the database to repair it.

=========================================================================

Once you remove the program and the Valdity Sensor Driver, you must have the means to reinstall.

There is help for that.

You can certainly remove the SimplePass program and the Driver -- and then reinstall both from scratch.

It is best if you download a new copy of your Valdity Sensor Driver before you completely delete the driver from your computer. 

Why?  Because you must have a Driver or you ever have this working again later.  Drivers are not as easily replaced.  Programs?  Phht.  Everybody has a program.

Your Validity Sensor driver may be located at your computer's Support Pages:

HP Drivers & Downloads

• Enter your Product number or exact model number
  • Enter your Operating System where indicated, Click Submit and Scroll down
  • Select Category Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices >
  • Download and do not yet install the most recent version of your Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open the file > Click on Download > Click “Open in Adobe Reader”

Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

READ the first page:  No guarantees.  None.  Zilch.  I am here to help if I can do so.

See Section:

• HP SimplePass – Series and Version

Make a Note of which version of the program you have installed on your computer!

If you want to completely remove the program and driver...

See Section titled: 

• Done with That – Delete HP SimplePass Program and Driver

To make sure the old program and the Driver are completely "gone" from the boot and file system, replace the last "Boot the computer and log in" instruction with the following Hard Reset procedure.  Read the instructions and do not panic -- this is not a "wipe out your computer" reset.

See Section titled:

• Pile of Rubble - Hard Reset Sequence

I suggess that here you make sure you can still log into your computer.  If you cannot do so, use that new admin account that you did set up when told to do so in the "Donewith That" instructions and fix your account password / login.

Next:

See Section titled:

Procedure - Update / (Re) Install HP SimplePass

This is where you are going to need that Driver you downloaded...

NOTES:

• You are most likely using Series 6 HP SimplePass >> then Ignore References to Series 8.
  • IF, perchance, you are using Series 8, then... ignore references to Series 6.
  • WHY?  These are NOT the same programs.  You cannot just go from one to the other without knowing what you are about.

=========================================================

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dear Dragon-Fur,  Thanks for attempting to find solution for my question.  However I have already done all that you have sugguested.  I have uninstalled Simple Pass 6 several times.

I have uninstalled program.  I have deleted Validity Sensors Driver.  I even remove "Biometric Devices folder from Device manager.  Did Hard reset taking battery out, etc.  and reloaded everything from internet.  

The program opens and I scan my finger, enter windows log on password and I can use program to log into other sites.  However, when I go to setup windows log on it asks for password again (windows log on password) again it returns a message saying the password does not match.   Match WHAT?  

It's a brand new install and I should have deleted all old  data/passwords.  I enter the same password that I put in when I setup program and it asked for it but on that screen to setup for login it says password does not match!  Match what?  I put in the only password I have,  My windows log on password I put in when I was asked for it at setup!

It seems program is going back to some hidden/other data base file I am not aware of but where?  I have uninstalled and deleted AND RESET SEVERAL TIMES TO NO AVAIL!  

UNFORTUNATELY SIMPLEPASS HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED BY HP so there is no support available.

I am surmissing that the new HP computers coming out with windows 8.1 that has a fingerprint scanner uses another program?  Where can I get that program?  Will it work with my Pavilion ENVY M6?

Simple Pass Simply does not work correctly.

Thanks for your answer but unfortunately it does not help me to find a solution.... Any outher ideas how i can use my fingerprint sensor?  It is very convienient.

Again thanks for trying.

frank

HP Recommended

fmhawaii

I have no idea what kind of information you have reloaded from the Internet. 

I have not in my life ever removed a folder from the Device Manager, although it appears it has not made things worse.  Windows is tough.

Edits to correct and add clarity

I was  not aware you have already uninstalled HP SimplePass six several times having not conversed with you on the subject.

In particular, the combination of removing the software, performing the Hard Reset as directed, then installing the Driver and software as instructed, can have a positive and corrective result.  Had you tried that combination previously and had I understood that to have been the case, I would not have advised you to try it again.  

Sometimes it is useful to try again the same steps again and again, although in most cases this amounts to banging one's head on the desk.  Smiley Frustrated

===========================================================================

I agree that Series 6 HP SimplePass is no longer updated.  The company that wrote the Series 6 program sold itself to Apple -- HP had nothing to do with that.  Yelling does little.  HP is no doubt just as disappointed as the rest of us.

The error you face is one of the toughest to resolve.  You are not the only one to whom this has happened; it is not all that common, but it is a nasty bit of business.

======================================================================

Some people have reported that, in the end,  just reloading the OS is the only way to fix this. 

You do have to reload your installed programs afterwards -- Refresh is not without consequences in that you must reinstall everything that is not part of the basic OS. 

READ before you use this option.

Refresh Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 😎

I understand you are frustrated and I am sorry for that.  Of the several ways to have broken the file system, this is one of the more difficult to fix. 

You could certainly try using another account.

Create a User Account with Administrative Privileges – Windows 8-8.1

Less likely options:

You could try system Maintenance -- clear all your Temp folders and the like, Internet Temp files, too.

Improving System Performance without Adding Memory (Windows 😎

You could try options to repair the File System, although no one has yet determined the precise nature of this error so finding it is a challenge.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8

The fact, should you want to hear it, is that the Series 6 AuthenTec HP SimplePass program is the more  robust, full featured, full-on kick-it fingerprint program available of the two Series available at the moment.    OK, not fact -- just opinion.  Smiling.

You can certainly, try the Series 8 HP SimplePass:

Series 8 works with Internet Explorer.

Series 8 is Supported and will occasionally be updated. 

Series 8 is written by Softex.  No rumors yet of Softex selling itself to Apple...

Series 8 is not as robust in terms of features, it is deemed somewhat fragil.

Series 8 appearance is different:  cleaner, lean.

See the section in the Dragon Document titled:

Switch HP SimplePass Series (6 to 8 or 8 to 6)

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dear Dragon-Fur

Thanks again for responding to my reply.  I appreciate your "answers/suggestions".  You are correct.  The only way to resolve this situation without spending a lot of time would be to completly start from scratch.  

However I'll have you know this current problem started after doing just that!  

I used the recovery disc/partition to recover computer after I was prompted/actually forced to upgrade to 8.1 and upon doing so I could no longer load my browser.  So I had to reinstall 8.0 with recovery partition but after doing so and finding the simple program online it started happening.

Can't figure out if recovery was actually just refreshing as you may have touched upon.

In any case, I suppose when I have the gumption and time to do so I will have to order a recovery disc and try again ( my recovery partition may have been corrupted?)

Anyway I'll live without it for the time being.

I thank-you for your efforts in trying to resolve this issue but it just an annoyance that it doesn't work properly BUT IT"S NO BIG DEAL!

HP computer are a good value for the money though not the best and will be consider again when I am able to upgrade.

Again thanks for helping me.  So long till the next "problem!"

HP Recommended

Frank,

Updating the OS to Windows 8.1 does destroy the Recovery Manager -- side "benefit" that seems to go unmentioned by some of the enthusiasts of Upgrades.  On the other hand, unless the system comes with 8.1 there is little you can do -- Windows 8 is rather sad.    You have the choice of a weird hybrid "almost" Windows 8.1 or running Windows 8.  Eeeew.  I chose the upgrade on the one Windows 8 system I have -- same level of frustration but at least the problems are different than running sad Windows 8.  Smiling.

Because you know your system runs Windows 8.1 -- and there are apparently the Drivers at your system's HP Support pages for Windows 8.1 (very important), you might consider purchasing Windows 8.1 Pro and being done with the hybrid upgrade OS.  You still lose the Recovery Manager, of course, purchased 8.1 does not provide the HP Recovery Manager -- but at least the OS is stable.   You still install the HP drivers from the computer's Support site, of course.  I actually purchased 8.1 for my upgrade system and have only been too lazy to install it.  Sigh.

You can use third party Image software to back up the system.  Certainly not the only one, and maybe not even the best according to whom you ask -- one such tool: 

Redo software is free and is NOT Windows dependent. 

The software can be used with Both Windows and Linux Operating Systems.

Redo Backup – Recovery – Bare Metal Restore

Please read the HELP / FAQ page.

Reference:

Windows 8 Features – A Quick Tour

=======================================================================

You might go ahead and create that extra local admin account -- there is nothing like the clarity of hindsight.  I dislike this error about mismatched passwords.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dear Dragon,

Thanks again for follow up.   Have a great day.  Don't know how to "give" you kudo"  Seems the only button that works here is the reply so I leave the thanks here!

frank

HP Recommended

That's it.. NO MORE WINDOWS! I'm a researcher and need windows to use the meager simple software made many years ago to 'read my meters' into software. LINUX with NEVER have this stuff but there are more modern lab equipment now - albeit costing a fortune and for NO GOOD REASON! Except to teach me the evils of todays predatory IT Market toward independent contractors like me!!

jonhendricksjr@gmail.com
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.