Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I entered Safe Mode in my Envy TS 15 running windows 8.1 to fix some issues with my Norton software and now I can't figure out how to exit back to normal mode.  Internet is shut off in safe mode (even though I selected safe mode with networking) so I can run any of the Help & Support resolutions.  Anyone know how to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nanna,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Try / Consider

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools> System Configuration >

Boot Tab > UNCHECK Safe Boot

Restart/ Reboot the computer and log in

OR

Another path to the same place:

·         Start the notebook and let it start up in Safe Mode

·         Windows key + R(Opens the Run Window)

·         Type msconfig

·         Opens the System Configuration Menu > Click Boot tab

·         REMOVE the tick next to Safe Boot > Apply to save

·         Restart/ Reboot the computer

==========================================================================

In addition, you might make sure your security router is set to

Encryption type AES

and

Security type  WPA2-Personal

Green_Line_1.jpg

Add Safe Mode to Boot Screen  (Windows 8 and up)

The "boot screen" option to boot into Safe Mode has been removed in newer versions of Windows.

While no one wants to be stuck in Safe Mode, there are times when it is nice to be able to easily access the option.  

How to Add "Safe Mode" to Windows Boot Manager in Windows 8 and 8.1

Reference: 

Windows Features - Quick Tour

Green_Line_1.jpg

Safe House Account

Although it won't prevent the system from booting into Safe Mode, the "Safe House" account is a good idea:  Create an additional local account (with administrative access) for the purpose of accessing your computer in the event that your "normal" account is locked, damaged, or otherwise unavailable.

Option - Create a safe-house (local) Account that provides Administrative access

• For Windows 7:

Control Panel > icon view > User Accounts > Manage another account >

Create a new account > Enter a name for the account >

CHECK Administrator > Create Account

• For Windows 8.x through Windows 10

Create a User Account with Administrative Privileges - Windows 10 / Windows 8.x

Green_Line_1.jpg

Commentary

If the system will not boot without going into Safe Mode, there has to be a reason.  The system might  boot into Safe Mode when other options are not available and / or when there are problems in the regular boot cycle:  rogue program(s), good programs that are not responding as expected, issues in the Registry, problems in the File System due to bugs, broken links, other issues.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Nanna,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Try / Consider

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools> System Configuration >

Boot Tab > UNCHECK Safe Boot

Restart/ Reboot the computer and log in

OR

Another path to the same place:

·         Start the notebook and let it start up in Safe Mode

·         Windows key + R(Opens the Run Window)

·         Type msconfig

·         Opens the System Configuration Menu > Click Boot tab

·         REMOVE the tick next to Safe Boot > Apply to save

·         Restart/ Reboot the computer

==========================================================================

In addition, you might make sure your security router is set to

Encryption type AES

and

Security type  WPA2-Personal

Green_Line_1.jpg

Add Safe Mode to Boot Screen  (Windows 8 and up)

The "boot screen" option to boot into Safe Mode has been removed in newer versions of Windows.

While no one wants to be stuck in Safe Mode, there are times when it is nice to be able to easily access the option.  

How to Add "Safe Mode" to Windows Boot Manager in Windows 8 and 8.1

Reference: 

Windows Features - Quick Tour

Green_Line_1.jpg

Safe House Account

Although it won't prevent the system from booting into Safe Mode, the "Safe House" account is a good idea:  Create an additional local account (with administrative access) for the purpose of accessing your computer in the event that your "normal" account is locked, damaged, or otherwise unavailable.

Option - Create a safe-house (local) Account that provides Administrative access

• For Windows 7:

Control Panel > icon view > User Accounts > Manage another account >

Create a new account > Enter a name for the account >

CHECK Administrator > Create Account

• For Windows 8.x through Windows 10

Create a User Account with Administrative Privileges - Windows 10 / Windows 8.x

Green_Line_1.jpg

Commentary

If the system will not boot without going into Safe Mode, there has to be a reason.  The system might  boot into Safe Mode when other options are not available and / or when there are problems in the regular boot cycle:  rogue program(s), good programs that are not responding as expected, issues in the Registry, problems in the File System due to bugs, broken links, other issues.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Exactly what I needed to know - thanks!

HP Recommended

Nanna,

You are welcome!  I am glad it worked.

If and when you have time, you might take a look at that "add Safe mode" doc.  If you set the "timeout" to about 5 seconds, then the lead time from when the two choices show up on the boot screen is short enough that if you are looking for it you will have to catch and click on the Safe Mode.  The time that it defaults and just boots into Windows is still short enough that the boot time is not overly compromised.

Having a way to get to Safe Mode during boot more important for Windows 8 because you cannot get to Safe Mode with F8 as was possible with previous versions of Windows.

This is just my opinion, of course.  Most of the time, when things continue working as they should,  we need not boot into Safe Mode at all.  :generic:

Happy Computing!

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show appreciation and say Thanks.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you so much This is just what I needed to know:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

ShadowMother,

You are welcome.

Windows 8.x is nice is a lot of ways; the Safe Mode is one area where things did go sideways a bit and it can be a surprise if you are not expecting the changes!

If you have Windows 8.1, either Native or an Upgrade, do take a look at some of the changes there as well - Windows 8.1 is a big improvement over Windows 8; again, there are some surprises that are worth a few minutes of inspection:  One Drive, for example, can be set to Available Off Line when you want the files / folders to be added to your backups and / or available to you when you are off the Internet.

Happy Computing!

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Click Accept as Solutionwhen the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for the simple solution. This simple solution will be cast in gold next to my laptop.

I spent several hours in 8.1 looking for something to accomplish this. The Microsoft forum responder admitted they had no idea how to get out of safe mode and that meager non-response was over a year ago. Clearly, this simple function is a severe design deficiency of 8.1 itself. Some programmer and their managers just didn't do their job and finish the implementation of 8.1.

HP Recommended

Tagrav

You are welcome.

This is one of the simplest and most annoying things in the OS.

Email the instructions to yourself in case the link goes dead.

Hopefully, this extra step won't be necessary in Windows 10.

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Windows + R keys

Type “msconfig” and press Enter

Click the Boot tab. Check the “Safe boot” box and select “Minimal” for a typical safe boot. Click Apply and your computer will boot into Safe Mode next time it restarts

Step By Step Method : How to BOOT WINDOWS 8 INTO SAFE MODE http://finally-found-the-solution.blogspot.com/2015/02/windows-8-cant-boot-into-safe-mode.html

HP Recommended

Trying to get out of safe mode win 8.1. Can get to msconfig under control panel. I uncheck safe mode and hit apply and it jumps right to safe boot. Help. Can't get my seagate back up to work eighter.

YWP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.