Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion gaming 15 cx-0058wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was trying to install elementary os as second system and i got a black screen when the usb is loading. I want to know if is possible to instal linux on dual boot with windows on this kind of laptop. Thanks on advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is totally possible to install Linux onto any HP laptop. Try going to the BIOS, by entering the F10 key when booting up. In their, try disabling secure boot and switching from UEFI to Legacy BIOS then save your changes. Afterwards shutdown your computer and press the F9 key to enter to pick the device you wish to boot from. If everything goes well, it should work.

If you eed any additional help during the installation and afterwards, try contacting me. I have been using Linux for a while now and would be happy to assist you into getting more familiar with the operating system.

I forgot to mention, there would be a message afterwards when you try booting up to Windows again after changing the settings in the BIOS. Just follow the key prompts (it would tell you to enter some keys in order to proceed) but don't worry about that, from my experience I have had no issue once completed. I don't know why they do this but its probably just a precaution moving forward for those who might be less technically inclined.

My Setup:
HP Notebook: HP 14-dk0028wm
Current Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It is totally possible to install Linux onto any HP laptop. Try going to the BIOS, by entering the F10 key when booting up. In their, try disabling secure boot and switching from UEFI to Legacy BIOS then save your changes. Afterwards shutdown your computer and press the F9 key to enter to pick the device you wish to boot from. If everything goes well, it should work.

If you eed any additional help during the installation and afterwards, try contacting me. I have been using Linux for a while now and would be happy to assist you into getting more familiar with the operating system.

I forgot to mention, there would be a message afterwards when you try booting up to Windows again after changing the settings in the BIOS. Just follow the key prompts (it would tell you to enter some keys in order to proceed) but don't worry about that, from my experience I have had no issue once completed. I don't know why they do this but its probably just a precaution moving forward for those who might be less technically inclined.

My Setup:
HP Recommended

@Joseph1557 

I have well over 10 years of experience with various Linux distros and installation and I would disagree STRONGLY with the opinion that Linux will run on "any HP laptop" -- as my experience is the total opposite.  Laptops tend to have specialized hardware for which Linux drivers simply do NOT exist -- a typical example of this is Switchable Graphics.

Also, some Linux installers allow you to shrink the Window OS partition and that nearly always results in Windows file system corruption and since Linux can NOT repair corrupted Windows file systems, you then can NOT reboot into Windows to fix it.  So, you have trashed your PC in the process.

Plus new Windows PCs using UEFI are a lot harder to configure with Linux than the old BIOS systems.

IF you replace that with a Linux distro, or add a Linux distro, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- including solving any problems with booting the other OS and/or installing the other OS.

Your best bet for support with issues with Linux is to contact the support forum of the distro you are using.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The switchable graphics problem can be solved with programs like Optimus (for nvida gpus and intel/amd apus) and/or Prime (for everything else). You can choose what gpu you wish to use. Distributions such as PopOS allows you to do so by default. Most HP laptops would have no issue with drivers. If they do, it is usually realted to the wifi card. Even then one can use a usb adapter or search to see if their is an unofficial open source driver available (which there usually is). Dual booting can cause problems, especially if it is done on the same disk, every Windows update has the chance of corrupting the Windows partition, hence why most users would recommend against it or having another drive to install the other operating system on.

My Setup:
HP Recommended

Hello i am writting from elementary os now. The problem result to be the usb drive. I can confirm that is possible to install elementary os using secure boot enabled and it is working correctly

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.