Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP probook 650 G1
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

hi, I want to do  a  full factory  reset,  but  I am being asked  for  the recovery  disk, which I don't have as I bought it second hand  a couple of years ago,  what  is  my  option  cheers 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Without having a recovery disk, your only option would be to clean install W8.1 by downloading the plain W8.1 64 bit installation media from the link below.

Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) (microsoft.com)

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below, that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

After W8.1 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP ProBook 650 G1 Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

Without having a recovery disk, your only option would be to clean install W8.1 by downloading the plain W8.1 64 bit installation media from the link below.

Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) (microsoft.com)

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below, that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

After W8.1 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP ProBook 650 G1 Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

thankyou very much  

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Hi  again   I have  downloaded   8.1  onto a USB  flash drive    as  you can see on the  attachment,  no I'm not sure  what  you  mean  in the second  part

"Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below, that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable."   cheers 

abcdetghij.PNG

HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't just copy and paste the ISO file to a USB flash drive, or it won't boot.

You need to use the tool I attached, which will automatically transfer the ISO file to a flash drive so that it is bootable, or you can use a different free utility such as Rufus.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

HP Recommended

hi  i have opened  te rufus  page  but nothing  happens  when I click  start ?    and I have  just  seen the attachment  tool  

HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is how to use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached on my first reply.

You download the zipped file from my reply, unzip it, and run the program in the folder.

How to use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to install Microsoft Office ISO's | Dell Guam

The instructions to use Rufus are on the link I posted just before.

The actual Rufus program to install is at this link on the webpage.

https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.14/rufus-3.14.exe

I would not be able to help you further with how to use either program, because I install all of my Windows operating systems from DVD's, and have no experience with Rufus and only used the Microsoft tool a couple of times.

HP Recommended

ok  I am  much obliged  for  your help    cheers 

HP Recommended

hi I didn't  "copy and paste"   I saved it in my  downloads then  I  installed it  to  my flash drive, I know you said  you couldn't helo me further but this isn't something new I just need  to know how to do things  as I am not  very  techno,  do I delete  what I have  saved  to my flash drive  and  start again  using the "  tool"  and  when I have downloaded "the  tool "  do I install it on the flash drive  with  the ISO ????? then  restore my  laptop  back to  factory   settings then  insert the flash drive 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.