Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

N8L09 notebook. about 12 months ago the HD developed bad sectors. Failing fast. windows would not boot. Could not access the recovery partition. Grabbed a samsung SSD and plugged both disks into my desktop. Not one partition copy program would clone the recovery partition. They all died at the bad sectors.. I gave up.

Now my laptop is in for service I decided to see if HP had fixed their recovery issues. Yes and no. First get a 32G usb key !! No dont have one, cant afford one. I have 6 hard disks.. including the samsung ssd. All i want is an image file of the recovery partition that i can use samsung partition manager to put at the end of the disk and boot from it

or a win 10 partition  .

Can any one help please.

RayM54.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RayM54 

I don't know what 32GB flash drives cost in Australia, but I just checked locally and they are $5 USD -- so I don't see how that is not affordable.  The drive is used to build install media -- and even with MS media, that requires an 8GB drive.

Even if you had been able to clone the Recovery partition, that would not have worked and would have been a waste of your time. Creating an image of the Recovery partition is useless.

You said you had six hard disks -- INSIDE the laptop?  Sorry, I don't see how that is possible. Maybe two or three with a mix of SSDs and HDDs, but not six.  You would need to explain how that is done.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@RayM54 

I don't know what 32GB flash drives cost in Australia, but I just checked locally and they are $5 USD -- so I don't see how that is not affordable.  The drive is used to build install media -- and even with MS media, that requires an 8GB drive.

Even if you had been able to clone the Recovery partition, that would not have worked and would have been a waste of your time. Creating an image of the Recovery partition is useless.

You said you had six hard disks -- INSIDE the laptop?  Sorry, I don't see how that is possible. Maybe two or three with a mix of SSDs and HDDs, but not six.  You would need to explain how that is done.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

ok i checked my local supplier

32G usb 3.0 kingston brand $239, $199, $85..

hhahah  ebay 2TB pen drives $19.. I am told they contain just 16GB and you just keep overwriting the 16G  Scam.

last ones i bought were 2 years ago in NZ $48 each for 8GB. took them home and never found them again.

and i dont have a car, nearest shops are 4km away and i weight 150kg. Taxi costs $16 each way. and its not my laptop. Mine is in for service. the MB didnt even start, got replaced, returned and the keyboard backlights didnt work. dark red on black is a **bleep** colour scheme.

it comes back today. hope its fixed.

as for your help. Thank you for the heads up.. I will get the owner to buy a usb key and a new SSD. and i will put my 6 spare disks back on the shelf.

My laptop has a 1TB  disk and a 512GB M2. I love the 3 second boot time. Terrified of the reliability of the M2. In 2 years i have lost 2x SSD. They dont give warning. They just stop dead.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.