Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
envy 17 J115CL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i had posted this previously (dec 2015) and none of the offered solutions came even close.  now, i have anniversary update.

problem still persists, over a year later with no apparent solution.

i have the power setup to sleep when lid is closed, however, it hibernates after a while, and

wakeup takes about as long as it does on initial boot--except, of course, with a shutdown, open work is not saved.

this is very frustrating.  i cannot understand why a setting is being ignored.

is there a registry value change i could make to stop this?  it's been going on since my initial win 10 install.

thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @irce801,

I reviewed this post comprehensively. Brilliant troubleshooting, great effort and persistence to fix the issue.  hats off to you on that score. 🙂

Well, I am really glad that the issue has been resolved and it could be that the had drive was set to turn off after 20 minutes. So It was a great effort on your part.

However, I provided the first resolution based on your first post. I also promise you that I have done all I can by keeping your best interest in mind. 

It is also possible that the option is greyed out because of disabling the hibernate option. Please try to enable it.

Try this step: 

control panel (right click on start button), power options, change plan settings, restore default options for this plan.

Need to do for each plan

Please check this link out also: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04752217

Besides, I would like you to keep you posted that you could delete the ACPI battery drivers from device manager and restart the computer and the option may come back.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @ circe801,

Good day. Welcome to the HP Community 🙂  Hope you are doing well.  🙂  I understand that you require assistance regarding notebook hibernating issues when the lid is closed instead of going to sleep. I’ll be delighted to assist you with this.

Fabulous analysis.  Terrific diagnosis of the issue as well before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 It is paramount to address this for you. We definitely value your relation with HP and it is a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• When did this first begin?
  • Did it start after a windows update or a software update? Do you remember?

For now please try these steps:

Please roll back the video drivers from device manager.

Steps:

open Device Manager

-expand "Display adapters" field

-right-click on "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family"

-choose "Properties"

-left-click on "Driver" tab

-click "Uninstall"

-check the box "Delete the driver software for this device", then "OK"

-when it is done, restart the computer

-after Windows startup, the driver for should be installed automatically

-DO NOT UPDATE THE DRIVER TO THE LATEST VERSION

-If you did update the driver to the latest version, open Device Manager, expand the "Display adapters" field, right-click on "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family", choose "Properties", left-click on "Driver" tab and choose "Roll Back Driver

Then update the bios and chipset drivers from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-17-Notebook-PC-series/5401174/model/7486272

Also, uninstall all the battery drivers (ACPI) from device manager and restart the computer.

Then disable hybrid sleep from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03383935

“Disabling hybrid sleep in Windows” from this link.

Delete the hibernation file and check if this works.

Disable Hibernate (and Delete hiberfil.sys) in Windows 10, 8, 7, or Vista

You’ll need to open an administrator mode command prompt by right-clicking on the command prompt in the start menu, and then choosing Run as Administrator. Once you’re there, type in the following command:

powercfg -h off

You should immediately notice that the Hibernate option is gone from the Shutdown menu.

You’ll also notice that the file is magically gone!

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi, davidsmp.  thanks for the reply, and the kudos, though my diagnosis went much further. 

as stated previously, this occurred on every install of win 10 i have done--upgrade and then 2 clean installs (due to a onedrive problem that no one at HP was able to figure out--i was told to reinstall the OS, which does not seem like an acceptable solution--especially since the problem reoccurred each time after a few hours.  i finally figured it out for myself, and also advised HP of the solution i found).

the hibernate problem persisted after the anniversary update.

all the driver suggestions i had already done.  in the past, i had updated the display adapter only to roll it back due to freezups.  i do not install the driver utility.  i manually install drivers.  bios has also been updated previously.

followed all subsequent steps.

however, in the power options>edit plan settings, the option for 'restore default settings for this plan' is not there, and my plan settings were already customized from the default, so i don't understand why it's not there

in the advanced settings, as well, the 'restore default...' button is likewise greyed out.

the 'allow hybrid sleep' was already off--i believe i did that previously as a self-remedy when i got no advice last year.

stupid me forgot to look for the hyberfil.sys file previous to doing the command prompt, so i can't determine if it was already gone, especially since there is no 'done' or anything similar after entering the command prompt.

question--is it possible that the problem was that the hard disk was set to turn off after 20 minutes?

i think that might have been the problem--not hibernation--since i believe i had also turned it off and might have already done the command prompt as 'hibernate' was never visible in power options--and both require a quick hit of the power button to 'wake up' the laptopl

i believe that is the answer.

thank you, though, for all your help.

and, if possible, can you explain why the 'restore default' option is greyed out? 

could that be due to the previou disable of hibernate?  i am torn between yes and no...

thanks!!

HP Recommended

Hi @irce801,

I reviewed this post comprehensively. Brilliant troubleshooting, great effort and persistence to fix the issue.  hats off to you on that score. 🙂

Well, I am really glad that the issue has been resolved and it could be that the had drive was set to turn off after 20 minutes. So It was a great effort on your part.

However, I provided the first resolution based on your first post. I also promise you that I have done all I can by keeping your best interest in mind. 

It is also possible that the option is greyed out because of disabling the hibernate option. Please try to enable it.

Try this step: 

control panel (right click on start button), power options, change plan settings, restore default options for this plan.

Need to do for each plan

Please check this link out also: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04752217

Besides, I would like you to keep you posted that you could delete the ACPI battery drivers from device manager and restart the computer and the option may come back.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hello again.  thank you for your praise.  part of the reason i have learned so much is my past bad experiences with HP support...

so, i did explain that not only is the 'default' button greyed out, but the option is also gone from the 'change plan setting' page.  i guess the only way to figure this out would be to do a command prompt re-enabling hibernate.  

maybe i'll try it.

thanks again for all of your effort--you have possibly helped to renew my failing faith in HP... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.