Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
old Pavilion & new ENVY
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

No long article links, just short & sweet advice on notebook use

(this will solve long-standing argument between husband & wife)

We have an old laptop: "HP Pavilion dv7-4270us  Entertainment Notebook PC"

and a brand new one:  "HP ENVY x360  13-yOXX  Touchscreen Convertible PC"

**  the old dv7 came with the optional 9cell/9wh battery

One of us says it's okay to leave them sitting plugged in constantly (unplugging

periodically  to use 'portable').  Whereas, other says they need to be unplugged

& 'drained', then recharged monthly...if not weekly, to maintain battery potency

and not cause any internal damage from possible overheating. What do ya'll do??

Okay experts, be bold & direct....who will be sleeping on the couch tonight?? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes @TexasIndian. You understood my recomemndation correctly.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I would always recommend having the notebook plugged into the a/c outlet. I will use the notebook on battery only when there is a need and there is no a/c outlet available near.

It will ensure that the system works at full performance as the performance would be reduced on battery or else battery will drain fast.

Battery life will increase as the life of the battery is dependent on lifecycles. The lower the lifecycles, the battery last longer.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

Just to be crystal-clear:  it's not only advised  but highly recommended  by Vidya,

the Dean of the HP Experts....to leave both the old  AND  the brand new notebook

(almost) constantly plugged into a/c outlet (when in use AND 'asleep'  overnight??)

HP Recommended

Yes @TexasIndian. You understood my recomemndation correctly.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

HP Recommended

HOT  DANG!!!!    Guess who's sleeping in the bed tonight

and NOT the couch?!   A bet's a bet, right? Thanks Vidya.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.