Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x2
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi.

I have seen the following question a few places in this forum. But those who answer it, all seem to have misunderstood the specific problem. So I'll try to explain it myself 🙂

I want to do a clean install of windows 10 home and change to 64 bit. I am currently running the 32 bit, but My pc is 64 bit compatible.

In order to do this, I need to find the legacy option in BIOS on My Pavilion x2 detachable pc.

Currently the legacy option is nowhere to be found. It just does not exist. I have heard that it could be because of an outdated BIOS, but after having updated to the newewst recommended BIOS, nothing has changed. Still no Legacy option anywhere to be found 😞

Can anyone provide a solution?

Kind regards

Martin

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi, Martin:

Why must Legacy mode be enabled to install W10?

If you make the 64 bit bootable USB installation media using the Media creation tool at the link below, you should be able to install W10 in UEFI mode.   You will need an 8 GB USB flash drive for this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With the USB flash drive in a USB port, turn on the PC, tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that, select the USB flash drive and press the enter key to boot from it.

Some model PC's (I don't know which ones) do not have a legacy enable/secure boot disable BIOS setting.

Yours must be one of those.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Thank you for your quick reply.

I have done this already, but it simply does not react to it. Nothing happens when I do all of this and select the USB flash drive option in BIOS 😕

Martin 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Martin.

Sorry that didn't work, and yes if that is happening to you, then you have to boot the flash drive in legacy mode.

But as I posted earlier, some models do not have that setting.

So, I hope you never have to reinstall W10--even 32 bit because it sounds to me like you wouldn't be able to.

As a last suggestion, see if the info at the link below is of help to you...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21756-boot-usb-drive-windows-10-pc.html

HP Recommended

The pavilion X2 is not, 64 bits, is 32bits, at least mine is...

So I honestly believe that your problem is that the EFI manager is finding the file you have in the USB but because it sees that it is a 64bit EFI, it does not show as an option, what I think is weird, cause they usualy show you anyway and then when you try to run it, it crashes the boot saying that the instalation media is not apropriate to your 32bit system

One other thing that can be happening, in case your pc is 64 bits for real, is that you have a 32bit EFI manager even if your pc is 64bits compatible, so if you search on google, there are more people with that problem that need a 32bit EFI boot loader, to load the 64bit image...

Or the last thing that comes in my mind, is the USB being not compatible to your laptop, it did happen with me with some USB drives before, if you have a diferent USB drive, or if you can ask for one to a friend, with a diferent brand, give it a try, cause it can be just simple as that, the need of a diferent USB drive...

But to be honest, if the laptop you have is the hp pavilion x2 that breaks apart the screen and stays like a tablet, and you have 2gb ram, with 32gb ssd, with intel graphics, I can assure you that you are mistaken about it being 32bit compatible, cause that is the one I also have, and it is 32bit only

Hope any of those options worked for you, if you still trying to manage that problem...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.