Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 255 G4 notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Hi. In early July , I purchased a HP notebook(HP 255 G4 Notebook). The notebook did not come with any operating system so I returned it back to where I purchased it. The seller installed a windows 10 operating system on the PC. I don't like windows 10. Is there any way I can install windows 8 on the PC
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> I recommend setting up a raid (if possible to place a new disk) (raid1...) 

It's a notebook PC, not a desktop PC.  So, although I do have a HP laptop that has two disk-drives, it is very rare for any laptop to have a second disk-drive.  You need two disk-drives to setup a 'RAID-1 (mirror)' configuration.

> did not come with any OS.

It might be possible to order a set of "Windows 8.1 System Recovery" DVD disks from HP.

Access:  http://support.hp.com and do a search for the specific model-number.

> install Windows 32-bit ...

Maximum RAM

• Up to 8 GB

Note: Memory is non customer accessible / upgradeable

How much RAM is in your computer? The 32-bit version of Windows will not use more than 3.2 GB of RAM.

So, if your computer has 4GB of RAM, or more, you should order those disks from HP, and reinstall the original 64-bit version of Windows 8.1.

Note that "mainstream support" for Windows 8.1 ends on January 9, 2018,

and "extended support" for Windows 8.1 ends on January 10, 2023.

Beyond those dates, you will need to install Windows 10, to keep getting security-updates for Windows.

So, why not install Windows 10 right now, and avoid any "migration" headaches in 2018 ???

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

There are no wireless or graphics drivers for W8 for that model notebook--even from the hardware manufacturer's websites.

Your only Windows options are W7 64 bit, W8.1 64 bit, and W10 64 bit.

Now if you want to install W8 and then take the free upgrade to W8.1 from the Windows Store, you can do that and then install the W8.1 drivers from the 255 G4 support and driver page.

HP Recommended
Windows 10 is already installed on it and i have already downloaded the file for windows 8 32 bit. My question is how can i remove the windows 10 and install windows 8.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I can't help you with that.

HP Recommended

Hello,

You can do a clean install of Windows 8 if you don't want any files saved, If you want something saved please save it on an external drive (NAS, USB, ...)
You can use Rufus (Direct Download Link: https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.11.exe )

Simply select you're USB + ISO to burn it on to the USB.
If you are using a CD you can use ImgBurn (for this you're CD drive needs to support burning...)

If you need any Further help i'm here.
Friendly Regards,
Yoloserver

HP Recommended
@Paul_Tikkanen. Thank you for trying to help
HP Recommended
Thank you. I'll give it a try and get back to you
HP Recommended

Hello,

You are welcome

Friendly Regards,
Yoloserver

HP Recommended

Ditch windows and try Linux Mint.
I've been using it for years on my HPs, and it works great!
Best of all, it's free!

You can even try it without installing it, although it will be painfully slow, since it has to read everything from a DVD.

You could also try getting another hard drive (SSD is the way to go!) and install it on that, so you don't lose your windows install, in case you want it back.

HP Recommended

Hello, Linux Mint is linux...
If he wants anonther OS he can just try it out (Im using windows 7)

Also if you buy an SSD Drive you CAN lose you're data with windows on it if its possible i recommend setting up a raid (if possible to place a new disk)(raid1...) if  disk1 crashes and you replace the crashed one he will set all the data from disk2 on the new disk1.

But

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.