Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to change my user account to run as administrator.  How do I do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Gunth 

You don't!  Since Windows 7, MS has changed the setup routines so that accounts created are general class users with some Admijn rights.  You can not change your account to be a genuine Administrator account.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Gunth 

You don't!  Since Windows 7, MS has changed the setup routines so that accounts created are general class users with some Admijn rights.  You can not change your account to be a genuine Administrator account.

HP Recommended

Thanks WAWood.  Good info to know, however, it is strange then that I even got the error that what I was trying to open (can’t remember if it was a document or video) had to be changed to run as an administrator.  I looked into my account info and, as you mentioned, it is run as administrator.  

HP Recommended

@Gunth 

No, basically is does NOT.  Your account is a member of the Administrators group, NOT The Administrator -- subtle difference, but different.  You can't run as The Administrator because MS disabled that years ago in Windows to prevent rootkits from taking over PCs.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!  I appreciate your responses that are very specific. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.