Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G60-630US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After I upgraded to Windows 10, I cannot access the settings.  When I try to open it, what I assume is the settings box only flashes then disappears instantly. 

I cannot restore or down grade without accessing the settings.  No idea what to do...

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I too am having this same issue on an Elitebook.  After the initial install of Windows 10, it was working fine, then a day or 2 later it just stopped working.  You click on the Windows logo, then click Settings and it does absolutely nothing.  I believe that there is a specific KB update or driver that is blocking it as I am able to recreate the problem by formatting the drive, installing the Windows 10 OS from scratch brand new, check Settings functionality and it works.  In approximately 2 days or so, it just stops working.  

Next step:  I am going to start over again and run perfmon session on it before, during and after to try and see exactly what is changed by which application or update/KB and will report back when I can.  I would have hoped that HP would have done this as it is apparently effecting more than 1 model.  The model I am having a problem with is an 8440p.

*Side note:  SFC /SCANNOW has no effect as I ran this at least 5 times to 100%.  Last known good config is not usefull as the system believes it was and is operating without error.  No Event Log errros or warnings are created.. it just does not work.  Hope to be able to report back soon with good news and a resolution and I would appreciate any help from an actual HP representative/technician.  Any input or suggestions HP???

HP Recommended

I have a different computer model running Windows 10, but my SETTINGS app constantly gets stuck minimized on the taskbar too.  Right clicking the minimized app does nothing, since there is no longer a "restore" option in Windows 10 context menu.  I believe this is just another bug in Windows 10!

Workaround to restore the SETTINGS app, stuck minimized on the taskbar or not opening when clicked:

On your keyboard, press: WINDOWS key -- left SHIFT -- left ARROW together.  This should restore the window.  Sometimes you have to do it more than once.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

FIXED/SOLVED/SOLUTION:  

I spoke to a friend that works for Microsoft and he provided this information/link/fix for this exact problem which Microsoft has classified as Emerging Issue 67758 and references KB3081424. He said this is an "emerging issue" and the HotFix/Troubleshooter below also includes a fix for another issue where people are "Unable to open the Microsoft Store" or "Microsoft Store button opens the Settings menu and not the Store" which ironically, I have experienced on another unrelated system.

RESOLUTION:

Here are the details to the HotFix for Emerging Issue 67758:   

The file name is:                                                             CSSEmerg67758.diagcab

The direct link to the file is:                                         http://aka.ms/diag_settings

The Microsoft information page for HotFix is:     

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/settings-doesnt-launch-or...

Details:

Microsoft has classified this as Emerging Issue 67758 and KB3081424

**CAVEAT:  Do not use this HotFix unless you are actually having at least one of these exact problems:  

1.  Unable to open the Settings tile,

2.  Unable to open the Microsoft Store

3.  Settings does not open or Store does not open

*Microsoft has acknowledged this is an issue and this link and "troubleshooter" is merely a temporary solution until the next cumulative update is released to include addressing this Emerging issue.  

Quote from Microsoft found on this page:    

"Today, we released KB3081424, Cumulative Update for Windows 10: August 5, 2015, which includes a fix that will prevent this problem from reoccurring.  This update does not, however, restore the Settings app if it is already experiencing this issue.  After you have run the troubleshooter, make sure you have installed updates to prevent the problem from reoccurring."

Until then, enjoy and I hope that I have at least helped even 1 other person with this fix from Microsoft 🙂 ~djChad

*Also - here is a link to a very usefull "10 most common issues and fixes for Windows 10" where you may just find the answer to something else you didnt even know wasn't working exactly as designed yet! 😉 (It also has info and a link to the fix above as well ironically so you know its got some good info LOL)

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-known-issues

HP Recommended

The link worked!  Unfortunately, I wanted the setting to restore back to Windows 7, but the old files are already gone, so I'm stuck with Win 10.  😞  

Thank you so much for your help!  I am not very computer literate, so I would never have been able to do this on my own!

HP Recommended
My HP Windows10 settings would not open .....I don't knw the reason... Its only flash back at me
HP Recommended

HP g6-2151sa will not open settings. opens blue screen for a second then closes down

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.