Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-dk0030ur 7qc04ea
Linux

I bought laptop version 7qc04ea  with  built in 256 gb nvme ssd only  and 8 gb ram
I tried to install linux mint 19.3. in several ways . 
I boot in live cd mode and run installation process. All was fine and installation finished successfully but after reboot laptop freezes  and only pressing the power button helps. After reboot I can see only login prompt and after login - again freezing. 
Also there are some strange errors like 

[ 288.909481] SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x11b3773e
[ 288.909490] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read data cache entry [11b3773e]

Also checked hardware with built in HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI tool  - all fine

Can anybody tell me is it possible to install mint or some another linux like system on this laptop 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I successfully installet linux mint 19.3 on this laptop with some hacks.
Errors above maybe pointed to nvidia 1050 graphics card . I'm not sure. 
So what I did:
I did install mint and before first login switched to another terminal  with (ctrl shift f1), loged in without starting x-server, connected to internet and fully upgraded all components . And maybe its enough 

If no please do instructions like here 
[edit]

So, yes Its possible to install newly linux system on this laptop. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

The SQUASHFS error comes up when the computer boots from a LiveCD/USB. It's the filesystem of the used live media. You have to probably set a different boot option (I had to manually set the boot path to the bootx64.efi file on the EFI partition that suppose to be created as a part of the installation) and remove the Live CD. Basically you have to tell the system where the linux EFI bootfile is because most Windows/UEFI based laptops have the boot preset for Windows. If the linux distro is in a dual boot then follow instructions on the Mint support forum. 

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

I was able to boot from the usb, but I was unable to partition the Windows 10 HDD.  I had a second new HDD, and was able to install Ubuntu 18.04.  I got a lot of SQUASHFS errors.  I press Esc, and boot without further problem.  I have to do the ESC trick in every boot.  I am looking a solution to fix the errors.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for the answer

HP Recommended

I successfully installet linux mint 19.3 on this laptop with some hacks.
Errors above maybe pointed to nvidia 1050 graphics card . I'm not sure. 
So what I did:
I did install mint and before first login switched to another terminal  with (ctrl shift f1), loged in without starting x-server, connected to internet and fully upgraded all components . And maybe its enough 

If no please do instructions like here 
[edit]

So, yes Its possible to install newly linux system on this laptop. 

HP Recommended

The problem was fixed by the ubuntu updates.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.