Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-ay060nm
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have bought the HP 15-ay060nm notebook several days ago and when I try to install Windows 7 (64-bit) from the bootable flash drive I have made, I get an error saying "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" and telling me to insert media containing it.

I have checked the integrity of the files and the drive and it's all good. I have also tried to boot the installation from both USB 3.0 and 2.0 to the same effect.

I understand this is a common problem when installing Windows 7, but could you please help me address this issue for my particular machine, as most of the solutions I have found seemed confusing and dependent on particular hardware or driver?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try putting just the 64 bit USB driver folder from the file onto a flash drive.

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

You should now see the USB driver files listed.

If you check the box, it should only include the compatible driver.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I have seen this solved by removing the flash drive when you get the message and reinserting it. If that doesn't work try removing it then using a different slot.

https://youtu.be/J-4c-eCOBJI

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Hi, @biverix :

Use this tool to incorporate the USB3 drivers into your W7 flash drive.

Select the applicable file to use based on the Windows operating system you run the tool on.

There is a readme file on the link for instructions to use the tool...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

HP Recommended

Unfortunately plugging the drive in and out hasn't worked for me. 

I will try the method with incorporating the drives into the Windows ISO.

HP Recommended

Try putting just the 64 bit USB driver folder from the file onto a flash drive.

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

You should now see the USB driver files listed.

If you check the box, it should only include the compatible driver.

HP Recommended

It worked! Thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

I had this problem when trying to install Win7 from a USB drive.  Spectre X360-13T-3000 model laptop.  Problem is that Win7 does apparently not come with USB 3.0 drivers, but both the USB ports on this laptop are USB3.0.  These are identified NOT by a blue socket (as discussed in other forums) but by the SS logo: 

http://www.kurokatta.org/pix/usb-superspeed-s

Solution that worked for me:

Go into system bios, system configuration

Select USB 3.0 Configuration in Pre-OS.  Change this setting from "Enabled" to "Auto".  This allows the 2 USB ports on this computer to function as USB 2.0 ports during bootup, but once the OS starts they will be switched to USB 3.0.  You can set this back to "Enabled" after you have installed the OS.

Hit F10 to save and exit, and the port will now read your Win7 installation from the USB stick.

HP Recommended

However I now have another problem. Got Win7 installed.  Under device manager, the Network Controller, PCI SImple Comm Device, SM Bus Controller, USB Controller and Unknown device are all with yellow !.  I can download drivers for Win8.1 from the HP site, which may work, but how do I get them onto this laptop?  Since Network controller and USB controller are both not working, there is no way to load the drivers!  Help!  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@sleibo Does changing the usb ports to 2.0 in BIOS not help?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.