Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-dy1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I inserted my password, it said it could not load my profile and wouldn't open Windows. After trying a couple of times, I turned off the computer for about 10 secs. and when I turned it on again, it was the  black screen with the message "the computer did not shutdown properly, It also said it was restoring the cache metadata, not to turn off. When finally I could insert my password, it said Welcome, as usual but under it was "restoring Windows" which took a while. Then, when I went in, my wallpaper was not on the opening screen. I went to FB, after having to reregister in Chrome, to upload a picture and there were no pictures!!! Then I went to check documents and NO documents!!! I also realized a lot of apps were  In Windows/Program files but would not start! Not even the calculator started!  I turned off the computer again to see if that would solve the problem. I left it off a few minutes and, when I started, the same black screen, saying the computer had not closed properly (I closed it!), restoring cache metadata, etc. When I finally went in, the same thing! This time I couldn't even open OneDrive so I decided to wait until today.  I left it on and, this morning, when I went to check my mail, I noticed all the tabs I had opened before were open again! I went to open the calculator and it opened as did all my other programs. It is working as if nothing had happened. Any explanations or solutions so it doesn´t happen again? Thank you

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@V52142, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

We reviewed your post and I understand that its an operating system issue 

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Turn off your HP laptop.
  2. Disconnect all external devices (printers, USB drives, etc.) from your computer.
  3. Remove all recently added internal hardware.
  4. Press the Power button to switch your HP laptop on.
  5. Once your unit starts booting, immediately press the F11 key. Repeatedly press it until you see the Choose an Option screen.
  6. Select Troubleshoot.
  7. Choose Reset this PC.
  8. You can either opt to keep your files or to remove everything.
  9. Select Keep My Files when you want to retain your data. Once you click Reset, your operating system will be reinstalled. The process may take a while.
  10. Choose Remove Everything when you want to remove all your personal files.
  11. You can opt to remove everything solely on the drive where your operating system is installed. On the other hand, you can click All Drives when you do not want to retain any data.
  12. You can also fully clean the drive you selected or just remove your files.
  13. Click Reset.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.