Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6-2054er
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I received a black screen after rebooting the system during the update BIOS. bios does not load, flashes caps lock. while creating USB "IHISI: Get support mode fail in SMI!" when you press WIN+B nothing. hard reset nothing. reset CMOS nothing. HELP!

HP Pavilion g6-2054er

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@macVsog

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion g6-2054er Notebook and the BIOS update failed. Since then the laptop does not boot into Windows and displays a blank screen. The caps lock light flashes. 

You have done a remarkable job in troubleshooting this issue. 

Ideally, during a BIOS update the computer should restart on its own. In case it is manually restarted then it can lead to a BIOS failure and the laptop may need to sent for a service to flash the BIOS.

The attempt to recover the BIOS using the key combinations has failed. The steps are described below:

• Turn off the notebook.

• Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.

• With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

NOTE: On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key  and the V key.

• While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key  and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps). The HP BIOS Update screen displays, and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.

However, you can attempt step 3 and step 4 from this HP document as these are alternate ways to recover the BIOS. 

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Keep me posted on how it goes. 

Good luck! 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@macVsog

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion g6-2054er Notebook and the BIOS update failed. Since then the laptop does not boot into Windows and displays a blank screen. The caps lock light flashes. 

You have done a remarkable job in troubleshooting this issue. 

Ideally, during a BIOS update the computer should restart on its own. In case it is manually restarted then it can lead to a BIOS failure and the laptop may need to sent for a service to flash the BIOS.

The attempt to recover the BIOS using the key combinations has failed. The steps are described below:

• Turn off the notebook.

• Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.

• With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

NOTE: On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key  and the V key.

• While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key  and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps). The HP BIOS Update screen displays, and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.

However, you can attempt step 3 and step 4 from this HP document as these are alternate ways to recover the BIOS. 

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Keep me posted on how it goes. 

Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

section of HP_TOOLS is absent. I created USB BIOS/Current/01847.bin and 01847.sig the laptop gave signs of life (earned the screen). but then it reboots

HP Recommended

@macVsog

Thank you for your super quick response.

If the suggested steps ( step 3 and step 4) did not work then I have sent you a private message with the next course of action. 

Hope that helps.

Good luck and keep me posted for any further questions.

HP Recommended

I RESTORED BIOS

1)  download HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS 4-IN-1 USB KEY

http://www8.hp.com/emea_middle_east/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

2) download your BIOS from the official siteinstall on a USB flash drive

3) copy BIOS/Current/01847.bin and 01847

4) install HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS 4-IN-1 USB KEY on USB

5) insert BIOS / Current / 01847.bin and 01847

6) insert USB into a dead laptop

HP Recommended

@macVsog

Great news!

I'm glad that you were able to successfully restore the BIOS. You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. 

Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.