Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilon Gaming Laptop 15XXX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

pls can you help check swapfile controle? I have primary SSD HD and my secondary HDD was all the time not used, but last time i heer them is still working (using only for storage fotos and videos). Is Win10 using some inteligent swaping, using secondary HDD or why is now still working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Wolfikcz 

OK, thanks for the info ...

I too have an SSD and an HDD, and I had my PageFile set to the HDD due to the SSD being so small.  So, the HDD was constantly being used even when I was not doing much. If your SSD is 500GB or larger, then you could keep the PageFile there without having it on the HDD; but it if is smaller, then I would have the PageFile on the HDD.

Here is information on the PageFile:  (9) Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

If your PageFile is not on the HDD, Windows still creates temporary files to use as buffers, so maybe those are being written to the HDD.

I would not suspect a Virus basically because this is NOT what they do.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Wolfikcz 

OK, so maybe it's a translation problem, but you're using terms that do not make sense.

First off, there is no swap file in Windows; that exists in Linux.  If you're talking about the Pagefile, that is set by default to the first volume and if you're asking about moving that, then say that.

Second, there is no such thing as an SSD HD -- it is either and SSD or an HDD, not both. In PCs with both, the SSD is usually used for Windows and is the default drive used for downloads.  That is done because the SSD is much faster and using it will have Windows and appls load much quicker.  You can move personal files to the HDD, but not Windows.

HP Recommended

sry my english is no good 😄

i mean page file ofc, HDD i use for data and SSD for system and aplications but for few day (never before) I hear HDD is still working when i dont use them, so is there pagefile too or what is doing? indexing i have off 

HP Recommended

I check task monitor and there is utilisation SDD 2-5% and HDD 35% about one a 5s when i do nothing, should be some 3trd side virus or windows is usind that?

HP Recommended

@Wolfikcz 

OK, thanks for the info ...

I too have an SSD and an HDD, and I had my PageFile set to the HDD due to the SSD being so small.  So, the HDD was constantly being used even when I was not doing much. If your SSD is 500GB or larger, then you could keep the PageFile there without having it on the HDD; but it if is smaller, then I would have the PageFile on the HDD.

Here is information on the PageFile:  (9) Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

If your PageFile is not on the HDD, Windows still creates temporary files to use as buffers, so maybe those are being written to the HDD.

I would not suspect a Virus basically because this is NOT what they do.

HP Recommended

its done, i checked it and win moved pagefile automaticly to hdd, maybe because was not enough room on SSD, i moved it manuanaly back to SSD and delete some files to make more room, fixed, thx

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.