Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
asanda97 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

system properties showing wrong GHz speed

hp G4 250
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
hey everyone, I recently bought an HP lap i5 6200U, according to intel it suppose to be 2.80Ghz maximum but on my task manager and system properties it shows 2.40Ghz, at the same time sometimes on task manager the speed goes all the way to 2.70GHz,
8 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
71869 8690 18689
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

CPU uses a technology called SpeedStep technology. It won't run its full speed if NOT required and it can bump up its normal speed when required.

More information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
asanda97 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

hey u understand that, but the system properties still has to display "intel core i5 6200U @2.30Ghz 2.80Ghz" but instead of the 2.80Ghz it displays 2.40Ghz, :(
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
71869 8690 18689
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

2.4 is from 2.3 to 2.8 isn't it ?

Hope this math is simple.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
asanda97 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

2.30 to 2.40Ghz thats a .10Ghz difference. your math isn't helping me but causing more confusion. I wish they were more i6200U users in this forum. thank you anyway I'll look elsewhere for a solution
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
71869 8690 18689
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Sorry, I thought that is a very simple math. From the following specs, it can run

Processor Base Frequency     2.3 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency     2.8 GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/88193/Intel-Core-i5-6200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz

It can run 2.3GHz, 2.31GHz ..... to 2.8GHz.

And 2.4GHz is from 2.3GHz to 2.8GHz.  Let's use the following ruler

From 2.3GHz         ---------------------------------------------------------------- to 2.8GHz

Where do you put 2.4GHz ?

Regards.

BH
0 Kudos
asanda97 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

okay I understand your math now. but why is task manager also showing a maximum speed of 2.40Ghz ? and not the turbo boost maximum of 2.80Ghz

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
71869 8690 18689
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

As mentioned above, it ONLY shows Max Turbo Frequency     2.8 GHz when it runs in Turbo mode. Normally it won't run that speed. You can crank it up for example rendering video using high end video editor software. And please note, don't run at its max everyday, it will kill itself quicker.

Regards.

BH
asanda97 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

ayt! thank you for your time banhien :)
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation