Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp G4 250
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
hey everyone, I recently bought an HP lap i5 6200U, according to intel it suppose to be 2.80Ghz maximum but on my task manager and system properties it shows 2.40Ghz, at the same time sometimes on task manager the speed goes all the way to 2.70GHz,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

As mentioned above, it ONLY shows Max Turbo Frequency     2.8 GHz when it runs in Turbo mode. Normally it won't run that speed. You can crank it up for example rendering video using high end video editor software. And please note, don't run at its max everyday, it will kill itself quicker.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

CPU uses a technology called SpeedStep technology. It won't run its full speed if NOT required and it can bump up its normal speed when required.

More information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
hey u understand that, but the system properties still has to display "intel core i5 6200U @2.30Ghz 2.80Ghz" but instead of the 2.80Ghz it displays 2.40Ghz, 😞
HP Recommended

Hi,

2.4 is from 2.3 to 2.8 isn't it ?

Hope this math is simple.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended
2.30 to 2.40Ghz thats a .10Ghz difference. your math isn't helping me but causing more confusion. I wish they were more i6200U users in this forum. thank you anyway I'll look elsewhere for a solution
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry, I thought that is a very simple math. From the following specs, it can run

Processor Base Frequency     2.3 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency     2.8 GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/88193/Intel-Core-i5-6200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz

It can run 2.3GHz, 2.31GHz ..... to 2.8GHz.

And 2.4GHz is from 2.3GHz to 2.8GHz.  Let's use the following ruler

From 2.3GHz         ---------------------------------------------------------------- to 2.8GHz

Where do you put 2.4GHz ?

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended
okay I understand your math now. but why is task manager also showing a maximum speed of 2.40Ghz ? and not the turbo boost maximum of 2.80Ghz

HP Recommended

Hi,

As mentioned above, it ONLY shows Max Turbo Frequency     2.8 GHz when it runs in Turbo mode. Normally it won't run that speed. You can crank it up for example rendering video using high end video editor software. And please note, don't run at its max everyday, it will kill itself quicker.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended
ayt! thank you for your time banhien 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.