Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6t-7000 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My windows machine is currently Win 10 build 1803 and I tried multiple times to update to 1903 build. All without success.  I even created a thread on the MS site about this issue.  My machine is a Pavilion dv6t-7000 Notebook. I ran an HP  HW diagnostics test, and all is good. There does NOT appear to be any bios updates needed. 

Windows Support for the 1803 build ends in middle of this November, so if I can't update by then, then I'm doomed 🙂 

Looking at this page of  HP supported systems for Win 10, I don't see my machine listed. Should I read any significance into it not being listed here? My product number is:  A3E82AV. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You don't need a key to create installation media.

During the installation process, when you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Here is the audio driver to try if the audio doesn't work right.  Install and restart the PC.

6.10.6492.0    Jul 17, 2015

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71886.exe

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to try clean installing v1903 by making installation media using the media creation tool.

Your PC's model series was never supported by HP for any version of W10 including the very first release as it was released to market prior to August of 2013.

That is why it doesn't appear on the listing of supported systems.

HP Recommended

Wow,  I didn't realize that I had the laptop for that long. I thought I purchased it in Fall of 2015 or possibly 2016, but after searching my records,  it turns out that it was purchased in Fall 2012. 

I thought it was a Win 8 when I purchased it, but on the receipt it was a Win 7 (I think Win 8 was just about to be released).  I remember upgrading to Win 10 was pretty rough. 

The fact that it was Win 7 is a pretty powerful argument for not trying to do a clean install from a hidden partition. 

Just wondering. I could possibly install linux on it, but after support for the  Win 10 build ends in middle November, what then happens? No more updates? Is it foolish to keep running an old build at end of life? 

Finally, let me just express amazement that this HP  laptop lasted as long as it did. During the last year or two, the battery failed, so I was working from plugging it in. Also, it had some quirks, but basically did its job. I went through heaven and hell with it. For the last 3 years or so, it was my backup machine (I had another desktop), but my non-HP desktop failed three times  -- once fatally, then  after I bought a new machine, it failed within the first two weeks (luckily still under warranty) and then two years later, I had an OS problem. Then I had to use it as a work computer on my job site a few months ago.  Upgrading from Win 8 to Win 10 was semi-difficult, but not impossible, but other than that, this laptop gave me no problems.. 

HP Recommended

Since the notebook has served you well that is all the more reason you should try it.

I have two much older HP notebooks (HP 6910p, HP 6930p) than yours, running W10 v1903 just fine.

I don't know much about Linux.

I imagine you can, because I once tried Ubuntu on an older generation HP desktop and it seemed to work fine.

I just wanted to try it out but I switched back to Windows.

There were too many different things that I didn't want to have to learn.

If you can still read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on your notebook's case, you can reinstall W7, or you can reinstall an older version of W10, if things don't go well for you.

My only concern is the audio sometimes doesn't work right (Beats audio is gone), but there is a W10 IDT audio driver you can try and see if that resolves the issue.

HP Recommended

I have a little more experience than you on Linux --  or at least, a little more tolerance of its quirkiness. 

I've used Ubuntu for a long while (although not in the past two years), and it seems to work well with legacy devices. The main problem has seemed to be power management -- although thankfully it has gotten a LOT better on wifi connections. 

I'm going to keep pushing a few more times on the Win 10 thing -- I'll go to the MS site and see if I could create media for Win 10 without a license....  It's worth a shot anyway.  Once again, thanks. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You don't need a key to create installation media.

During the installation process, when you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Here is the audio driver to try if the audio doesn't work right.  Install and restart the PC.

6.10.6492.0    Jul 17, 2015

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71886.exe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.