Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Has anyone upgraded this notebook to Windows 10?  The only drivers available are for Windows 7 and 8.1.  I have the latest BIOS and drivers installed for Windows 7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thankyou again, WAWood, and sorry for this late response.  I've had quite a merry-go-round working on three different computers at once, so have been really preoccupied.

I decided to try the reinstall again but, first, I disabled HP Health Check Service, installed and ran Intel Driver Utility, and uninstalled PDF Complete and Intel Driver & Support.  Of course, now I can't remember why I did all that.  I did keep notes but they've mysteriously disappeared, so I could kick myself.

I then ran the Windows update and, to my surprise, there were no errors.  It directed me to uninstall HP Protect Tools Security Manager, which I did, and stated that the Broadcom 802.11 Wireless LAN Adapter and the Broadcom 2070 Bluetooth 3.0 were no longer available.  So now, the system is using Windows 10 1809 Pro and is running beautifully.  I don't understand how the Broadcom items being unavailable affect the notebook, but I don't see any signs of problems.

Many thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Vivvvv 

If it's running Win8.1 without issues, it should run Win10 also without issues as the drivers are very similar and generally work well under Win10.

However ... if you want to experiment, then before you upgrade to Win10, take the time to make an image backup of your current setup so you have something to restore FROM. This is necessary because the Win10 Upgrade is know to corrupt the HP Recovery information -- and that prevents you from doing a Rollback to the existing OS if the Upgrade fails or has other problems.

I personally prefer to use third-party Recovery solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello, WAWood.

Thank you for your advice.

I backed up my Windows 7 system and ran the Windows 10 upgrade.

It responded with a warning that my Intel HD Graphics 3000 display adapter was incompatible with Windows 10.

My BIOS and all drivers are up-to-date, and neither HP nor Intel offers a Windows 10 driver for the display adapter.

I have, though, found a Windows 10 driver at www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=hd+3000 and am thinking of running the update again and installing this driver afterwards.

Do you think this will work?

HP Recommended

@Vivvvv 

A  problem that you might run into is that you really need the Win8.1 Intel HD 3000 driver -- which will work fine. But once Win10 is then up and running it will try to force a driver update on you, and from what I read, the newer driver does NOT work.

So, first of, what you want to search for is v9.17.10.2770 (may 2012) for the driver.

Second, once you find that, download it, and install it, you then want to disable Win10 driver updating using the information in the link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-driver-updates-windows-update-enable-disable-windows-10-a.h...

After that, you should have no video problems/

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thankyou again, WAWood, and sorry for this late response.  I've had quite a merry-go-round working on three different computers at once, so have been really preoccupied.

I decided to try the reinstall again but, first, I disabled HP Health Check Service, installed and ran Intel Driver Utility, and uninstalled PDF Complete and Intel Driver & Support.  Of course, now I can't remember why I did all that.  I did keep notes but they've mysteriously disappeared, so I could kick myself.

I then ran the Windows update and, to my surprise, there were no errors.  It directed me to uninstall HP Protect Tools Security Manager, which I did, and stated that the Broadcom 802.11 Wireless LAN Adapter and the Broadcom 2070 Bluetooth 3.0 were no longer available.  So now, the system is using Windows 10 1809 Pro and is running beautifully.  I don't understand how the Broadcom items being unavailable affect the notebook, but I don't see any signs of problems.

Many thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.