Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp laptop
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
I use to use my Microsoft account to log in. I have a problem remembering passwords so I know I've gone to the website several times to reset the password. My computer was used by someone and now I can't log in to my account. I even had issues resting the password because the settings on my email was changed somehow. But I got that fixed, changed my Microsoft password and tried to log in. It doesn't work so I figured out how to do the factory reset by pressing f11 on start up. When I get there I cannot click the factory reset option. I have no idea what to do.
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello TIFisHOPPING

It helps to include the model or product number of the computer you are asking about.

Lets see if this helps. If you do not see the option after this, then it has been disabled for whatever reason. In such case, you would have to either use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to install Windows 8 or 10 (which ever you actually have).

Or you can simply order the recovery media from HP directly for a small fee.

Tell me the model number of your pc and I can look up the info for ordering.

To get started using the F11 recovery..

• Turn off the computer.
  • Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. .
    Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.
  • Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key about once every second until the Choose and option screen is displayed, and then continue.
  • On the Choose an Option screen, click Troubleshoot.
    Figure 1: Choose an option with Troubleshoot selected
    Choose an option with Troubleshoot selected
  • On the Troubleshoot screen, click Recovery Manager.
    Figure 2 : Troubleshoot with Recovery Manager selected
    Troubleshoot screen with Recovery Manager selected

• Under Help, click System Recovery.
    Figure 3 : Help with System Recovery selected
    Recovery Manager with Help and System Recovery selected

• When Recovery Manager prompts you to back up your files, select a backup option:
      note:
    Depending on the version of Windows, the following screens might appear slightly different.
Follow the instructions to backup your files and recover the system.
  • If you have already backed up personal files or you do not want to back up personal files, select Recover without backing up your files, and then click Next. Continue to the next step.

• The Welcome to HP Recovery Manager screen is displayed. Read the on-screen information, and then disconnect any connected devices and cables, such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes.
  • Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.
    Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.
  • Click Next to continue.
    Figure 4 : HP Recovery Manager screen
    HP Recovery Manager welcome screen

•  
    HP Recovery Manager prepares the computer for recovery.
     note:
    This process can take as long as 30 to 45 minutes. Do not interrupt HP Recovery Manager during the recovery process.
    Figure 5 : Recovery preparation
    Recovery preparation

• When recovery preparation is complete, click Continue to proceed to the installation phase of the recovery process. The computer restarts several times during the recovery. This is normal. Do not close, shut down, or disconnect the computer while HP Recovery runs.
    Figure 6: Recovery preparation is complete
    Recovery preparation is complete

• Recovery Manager reformats the Windows partition and reinstalls the original software.
  • After the system recovery is complete, click Finish to restart the computer. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.
  • Once the setup is complete, turn off the computer, reconnect all devices and cables, and then turn on the computer.
  • Before using the computer, update and protect your computer by reinstalling any virus and security software that was installed before the system recovery.
  • Reinstall any software programs that were added after purchasing the computer, as well as any files that were backed up.

HP Recommended
I got to the recovery window but the option to factory reset was gray in color and wouldn't allow me to click it. I monkeyed around and got to the administrator CMD prompt (which I couldn't access from my guest account) and went to youtube to see how to factory reset from CMD. I did what it said but the CMD prompt said it wasn't in the system or something. Anyways here is the model number. JPH11UA
HP Recommended

That number shows as invalid.

Could you recheck that product number and verify it?

HP Recommended
J9H11UA
HP Recommended

OK,you have the  HP Notebook - 15-f111dx (ENERGY STAR)

The HP recovery media will also reinstall the F11 recovery option.

This link should send you to the ordering page for Windows 8.1 factory recovery media...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/HP-15-f100-Notebook-PC/7280521/model/7450429/softwareitem/79...

If you dont see a page asking you to enter your Serial Number, Name, Address, etc... let me know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.