Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
08-27-2022 12:54 PM
Welcome to the HP User Community.
Windows Hello is a Microsoft Product.
What you can do is dependent on your installed version of Windows (of course) and on the kind of hardware you have in your computer.
- Facial Recognition requires a high-grade IR type camera. Not every computer has this camera type.
- Fingerprint security requires an installed fingerprint sensor. This is generally an optional component - not all computers have fingerprint sensors.
- PIN setup is generally available in Windows and is considered a more secure alternative to using a password.
Windows Hello >> How-to, Information, and Troubleshooting
What you have...
Computer Hardware - Service Guide
There is no IR webcam / camera listed for this computer. The IR camera is required for facial recognition.
IF your computer has a fingerprint reader, the sensor bar will be located as shown on Pages 13-14.
Note that you have to included the fingerprint reader with your purchase - it is an OPTION and is not included on all computers.
If your computer has a fingerprint reader, it will be listed in the Device Manager in section Biometrics
Device Manager - Biometric Devices
- Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager
- (Tab) View > Select “Devices by type” AND “Show hidden devices”
- Open category Biometric devices
- Look for and Right-Click on the fingerprint reader device > Properties
- Tab Details
- Beneath Property, “Device description”
If you cannot get past #3 and #4 - there is no fingerprint sensor installed.
Example of a fingerprint sensor listed in the Device Manager
Audio by Bang & Olufsen
HP Clear Sound Amp
HP Noise Reduction Software
Digital Microphones (Dual Array)
2 Premium Stereo Speakers
Optional 720p webcam
Security lock slot (Lock sold separately)
Optional Fingerprint Reader (sold separately)
HP Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
Categories: Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more
Thank you for participating in the HP Community.
Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community