Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook 15-au109TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop has been running at 100% disk usage at a couple of months already. I've been trying solutions like disk cleanup but it doesn't work. I hope you can give me a viable solution

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Itsrcn 

Disk Usage is a measure of how much the disk is being USED, not how much SPACE is being used.

With a Win10 PC, you're going to experience a variety of problems not typical of the older PCs. Unlike with older OS versions, Win10 FORCES updates and patches on folks every week. This can cause problems not seen in the older OS versions.

First is sluggishness. You may experience a very slow PC at times because Windows Update (WU) is hogging your PC, searching for, downloading, and installing updates -- to bring your PC up to the most current version of Windows. This can also contribute significantly to high processor temperatures, as it is being heavily used.

Second is fan noise. That's directly related to fan speed, which is the result of processor heat, and WU is known to drive up the processor load -- sometimes to 100%. That can cause the fan to run loud and continuous for some time.

Third is disk usage. WU can easily force the disk usage to 100% and and keep it pinned there for some time. That's because it writes WU files to the drive, then it turns around and reads them, then it overwrites existing Windows System files. All of that takes a lot of disk usage to complete.

These processes are compounded by Win10 because new Win 10 patches coming out nearly every Tuesday. Since you can't stop Updates like you did with Win7, this means you're going to get updates, regardless of what you do.

To find out what version and build of Win10 your PC is running, do the following:
1) enter "cmd" (without the quotes) into the search area and select the Command Prompt option
2) enter "winver" into the command window (again, without the quotes)
3) The most current Win10 versions as of 5/27/20 are the following:
a) v1809: Bld 17763.1282
b) v1903: Bld 18632.900
c) v1909: Bld 18363.900
d) v2004: Bld 19041.329.

If yours is older than that, most likely WU is hogging your PC trying to update it.

Some folks have been told that resetting your PC will fix this. but, if you reset your PC, you only make matters WORSE! Why? Because you will reset Win10 back to the original version that came preloaded on the PC and that will restart Windows Update all over again.

To disable WU temporarily, do the following:
1) Enter "services" in the search area (again, without the quotes)
2) When the window opens, scroll down until you see Windows Update
3) If it say Running under status, that indicates that WU is running
4) To change that, double-click on that task, select Stop under the Service status, and then Apply
5) That should stop WU -- and you should see an immediate improvement in performance.

If not, then WU is not the problem.

WU will restart itself automatically later on, so you basically have no choice than to bear with it until it finishes.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@Itsrcn 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05255321

It has  1 TB 5400 rpm SATA, can't be 100% full, it can store tons of files/data. Where do you see 100% from Task Manager or from File Explorer. I believe you see 100% form Task Manager.

(a) If from File Explorer, you have to move or delete files to make room for system to run,

(b) If from Task Manager that means system is paging and swapping to HDD and HDD has to spin to dead because it is slow. There are few ways to fix

1. Quick fix: upgrade RAM, machine only has 4GB of RAM, not much room to to process therefore system has to paging/swapping many times each millisecond and as I say above HDD must spin to dead. You can install 8GB each to both slots using

https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/ct2k8g4sfs824a/ct11665732        (note RAM will run at 2133MHz)

2. More upgrades: you can also

*  add M.2 SATA SSD to your machine and clone HDD to it then use it as boot drive using

https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct1000mx500ssd4/ct11665727

or

* replace 2.5" HDD wih at 2.5" SSD using

https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct1000mx500ssd1/ct11665749

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.