Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

84 yr old great grandmother without the internet wants to use windows 10 all in one HP to do word processing and saving photos and word files. Her 15 year old computer stopped working and she is using a HP all in one. She was told by Staples that she could use the computer without internet connection to do word. Staples loaded microsoft office using her sons email address. She has the computer at her house. When she opens word the computer asks if she wants to rent, buy or install. She can continue to use word and save. She has tried to add printer but computer directs her to internet. She is at the point of returning HP all in one back to Staples and look for something else.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

1955mike

First thing you need to do is contact Staples and find out what version of MS Office they installed on her PC.

Last version I used was Office 2013 and since it was a click-to-run install, it required an online connection to Microsoft to activate it, before I could use it.

Some versions of Office 2015 and Office 365 require the same thing.

So, if that's the case, you would need to borrow her PC, take it to where you can connect to the Internet, do the connection, and activate Office.

One MS Office is activated, she should then be able to use it without an Internet connection.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't know the process of installing Miccrosoft Office using her sons email address therefore I can't comment on it.

For the printer, she needs software and drivers for it on her machine, she can't avoid this. Because she does not have internet, the CD (in the box of the printer) should help otherwise someone can download and put to a flash drive then install for her.

The HP AIO computer should do the jobs but she definitely needs a help from someone (her son, relatives ?) to setup proper MS Office product and printer for her.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello Mike, 

If she is connecting the printer using USB cable, then we don't need internet connection. But if it is wi-fi, then yes.. we need the connectivity . 

I congratulated the great grandmother for her zeal and passion. Please convey my regards to her.  I can surely understand the frustration , though .. but there is solution for her problem. 

Thank you mike for your question.

Regards,

Ashok

Ashok ... HP..always working
HP Recommended

1955mike

First thing you need to do is contact Staples and find out what version of MS Office they installed on her PC.

Last version I used was Office 2013 and since it was a click-to-run install, it required an online connection to Microsoft to activate it, before I could use it.

Some versions of Office 2015 and Office 365 require the same thing.

So, if that's the case, you would need to borrow her PC, take it to where you can connect to the Internet, do the connection, and activate Office.

One MS Office is activated, she should then be able to use it without an Internet connection.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Good advice given above. I know she's frustrated but this has nothing to do with the fact that's its an HP. This problem can happen no matter what brand PC she is using.

I will add another scenario to think about...

If Staples installed Office 2016 and got the key from her sons email, they should have also activated it there at the store.  If they did not, shame on them. They knew you didnt have internet, that's why you had them do it.

Office 2016 can also be activated via telephone, no internet needed. When you first open Word and its not been activated yet and an internet connection is not found, you will be prompted with the choice to connect or activate by phone.

So...

Are you sure she is opening 2016 or is she clicking on the Office 365 trial

365 trial will prompt you to purchase periodically like you say your getting, then allow you to use Word (until the trial ends). 365 will prompt you for internet access if you want to print, as it wants to save to the cloud also.

Sounds like your great grandmother just wants to write letters to print on paper and send though the post office.  

If so, here is a "future alternative"... 

Download Libre Office onto a USB flash drive, take over to her computer and install it. Libre Office is FREE and easy to write letters to print to paper with. It will not need an internet connection.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I will look at reinstalling office and updating her printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.