Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-ab121dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook only shows 512MB graphics memory, as we know apu's utilize your RAM and use it as VRAM. 

I tried accessing the settings in BIOS to see if i can manually increase VRAM, however, i was not able to see such settings or tabs inside the BIOS.

I would like to know how can i increase my VRAM from 512MB to 1024MB? thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Ricardo24

No, you can't assign this. System will dynamically and automatically allocate SPARE/AVAILABLE system RAM to VRAM up to Max supported.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien

Okay, so theres no manual option as to manually allocating RAM to VRAM.

New question, say if i upgrade my RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB (Highest ram that my book can support) my VRAM will increased to maximum automatically? Would there be a chance that it won't allocate more? I just want a concrete answer, because i don't want to waste money on upgrades that won't work. 

HP Recommended

@Ricardo24 wrote:

@banhien

... New question, say if i upgrade my RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB (Highest ram that my book can support) my VRAM will increased to maximum automatically? ...

Hi,

Not 100% to max since this is controlled by software. I can only answer: definitely it will allocate more but UP TO the max and that doesn't mean max automatically.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien wrote:

@Ricardo24 wrote:

@banhien

... New question, say if i upgrade my RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB (Highest ram that my book can support) my VRAM will increased to maximum automatically? ...

Hi,

Not 100% to max since this is controlled by software. I can only answer: definitely it will allocate more but UP TO the max and that doesn't mean max automatically.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

Hello,

It doesn't makes sense at all. 

If im not able to get the maximum VRAM possible by upgrading to maximum RAM allowable, why declare "up to 2048MB total graphics memory" if the notebook can't acheive it in the first place?

We all know that when it comes to APU's, RAM is being shared as VRAM, therefore, you having enough RAM to share with the APU (which is the highest possible ram capacity you can get), you should be able to acheive the maximum graphics allowable, correct?

Regards, 

RL

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.