Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp 250G6 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi there.

I have just purchased a new laptop, lucky me, but unfortunately technology has certainly marched on since I grappled with a laptop!. Last few years I've been using a tablet which has been simply fantastic. However, as we all know, there are certain things you just can't do on a tablet. So here I am trying to get to grips with this pc thing again!.

My first question, and you will laugh at this one,.......is how to access the @ symbol?.  Back in the old days, the @ symbol used to sit above a number,........................and that was it. Push the capitals button,......and hey presto,............the @ symbol would appear!....easy peasy.      On this new keyboard, the  "  symbol shows where the @ symbol used to be and the @ now lives beneath the number on the same key!. Confused?,.............don't blame you!.   Anyhow, can anyone please tell me what keys I should prod and in what order, to obtain the elusive @.   

Thanking you in advance for any help.    

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What does your keyboard look like? you may be using a different keyboard layout or a different layout in Windows.

Please remember to select the answer
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. The pc has been bought in Spain with a Spanish keyboard. My Spanish is not so good yet so in the meantime is there somewhere I could download a clear image of an English keyboard?. This would help. This machine seems very complicated for my needs. Very frustrating not being able to even find a simple symbol. I will take it back to the shop today for help. If I'm still struggling I'll try and take a photo of the keyboard and send to you.

Regards

HP Recommended

Does the keyboard have an "Alt Gr" key? If so, try holding that down (instead of Shift) then tapping the button with @ on it.

All opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily represent those of my employer.
No responsibility accepted for any action you take or refrain from taking as a result of viewing them.
HP Recommended

Hi there Chris.

I have found out that you can change the keyboard type. It was set to English. Now that I have changed it to Spanish keyboard the @ is now accessible using your info. Happy days!. 

Many thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.