Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop - 17-by3072cl
Microsoft Windows 11

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors, SSID 868E)

F.21 Rev A Fails to install. Error "The GENERICDRV service failed to start due to the following error:
A certificate was explicitly revoked by its issuer."
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @BKI 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

(1) Use current or another Windows 10/11 computer to create BIOS <USB flash drive>

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)

F.64 Rev.A43.3 MBSep 24, 2021Download

(2HP Consumer Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Windows)

See section <Updating the BIOS manually from a USB Flash drive (outside of Windows)>

(3Please report back

Kind regards

HP Recommended

HP Web site below lists BIOS available. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-17-by3000-laptop-pc-series/32796716/model/376763...

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors, SSID 868E), F.21 Rev.A, Nov 10, 2022

The HP Support Assistance, which does on list a BIOS for my Laptop available. 

Back ground on my system below:

hp-17-by3000-laptop running Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22623.891attempted to update HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors, SSID 868E), F.21 Rev.A, Nov 10, 2022. Resulted in error: The GENERICDRV service failed to start due to the following error: A certificate was explicitly revoked by its issuer. Event ID 7000.

I have tried booting in safe mode, but could not start a program to run, issues with driver and the Windows 11 Beta software.

I have used boot software tools before, but at this time I am not sure it would be worth the effort to use the boot method

HP Recommended

I have the same problem trying to update a HP 17-cn0236ng (67R88EA) from BIOS F.12 to BIOS F.22 (sp141933.exe).

Running the installation results in an error that the driver won't work with Core Isolation turned on. So I turned that off and restarted Windows. Now installing the BIOS Update (running sp141933.exe or running the extracted Winflash.exe results in nothing happening at all.

In Event Viewer I can see Event ID 7000 from Service Control Manager, stating the service GENERICDRV was not started because the certificate was explicitly revoked. Why is HP distributing software whose certificate was explicitly revoked? This seems VERY fishy. This BIOS is not some ancient obsolete download, it was released 15. Aug. 2022. HP,  please explain what is happening here. Has HP been hacked? Why were the certificates revoked? Why is no fix available? Why does the firmware updater not even show an error message?

HP Recommended

Hello @Gerald_H 

Try the workaround from @BKI  -> next post

If it fails:

The problem can only be solved by <HP>

Thanks @BKI !

Kind regards

HP Recommended

I used option 2 in the link below, successfully updating the BIOS.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-microsoft-vulnerable-driver-blocklist-in-windows-11....

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thank you BKI for the workaround tip, I have already found another workaround which I then used to update.

(I booted from the Win11 22H2 installation ISO/USB, loaded the Intel VMD driver to make the NVMe appear and then started the commandline with shift-F10, changed directory to the X:\swsetup\sp141933\ and ran Winflash.exe from this booted installation environment. Which worked fine and then proceeded to flash the firmware as it should.)

I guess your workaround seems easier and better!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.