Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Studio x360 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried installing all version of Intel Management Engine Drivers 1846.12.0.1177 Rev.A/1825.12.0.1144 Rev.A/1813.12.0.1124 Rev.A available at https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-zbook-studio-x360-g5-convertible-workstation/200...

My current BIOS is at Q71 Ver. 01.04.05 and upgrade to Q71 Ver. 01.06.03 A1 avaialble from SSM also fails.

The system is not able to wake from sleep since my last bios update.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So I fixed the system myself. Posting here for anyone with similar issues.

It was a mix of multiple problems.

- Had to use a Microsoft tool to uninstall all Visual C++ redist packages as these were causing IMEI updates to fail

- The BIOS update fails were caused by insufficient space on EFI partition. So I used diskpart to manually extend the EFI partition.

- Finally, the wake from sleep issue was caused by Samsung NVME drivers when two M.2 SSD are present. Using the new NVME driver from Samsung fixes that.  

Thanks for your assistance. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Try using HPIA to install the updates.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HPIA.html

One you download and install HPIA it should laucn.  Once you are inside HPIA, make sure the Analyze Image tab is selected and then press the Blue Analyze button.

Look at the Summary tab and you will see information about your system.

Click on the Recommendations tab and look for the Intel Management Engine updates.  Depending on what has been installed there might be a few items selected as critical.  Look at what is selected and you should see that SP93335 as the SoftPaq that needs to be installed.  Make sure it is selected (you might see that 1,2 or 3 downloads are listed on the Download button.

Press the Download button.

Select your desired download location or leave as the default.  Under Operation, select Download SoftPaqs, extract files and install.  Press Start.

Once the installation has completed a summary HTML should appear and tell you if the installation was sucessful.

Reboot the system and repeat the steps above again but this time select the HP Firmware Pack (Q71) v01.06.03.   If you have set a BIOS Admin password you will be prompted to supply the password.

Let us know the results of your testing.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

Hello Joel,

Really appreciate the detailed writeup.

HPIA reveals different issues. After running Analyze, I have the following observations.

- No IMEI related entries under the Recommendations tab

- Under the "Device Drivers" tab IMEI is listed to be the same with the reference image and version is 1815.12.0.2021

- Under the firmware tab IntelME version 12.0.7.1122 is listed under "Target Image only", but there is no corresponding entry for "Reference Image". Note I have all boxes checked so there should be a listing for the reference image state.

My hardware ID from the device manager is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A360&SUBSYS_844F103C&REV_10

Since you mentioned I got the softpaq from https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp93001-93500/sp93335.exe and tried installing it. But it fails.

Any help in getting the firmwares updated would be greatly appreciated.

The failure to wake from sleep is a major handicap.

Thanks,

Satyam

HP Recommended

Something is amiss.

Please contact support and provide them with the steps you are have attempted thus far.

Additionally collect the following two things which will greatly assist technical support as they work your issue.

Capture an HPIA configuration file.

Run HPIA and Analyze your system.  Once this has completed, press CTRL - Shift - S.  This will open a dialog and promopt you to save a ZIP file that contains info about your current image.  Let technical support know that you have already captured this information.

Download and run ImageDiags

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/idr/ImageDiags2

This location has information on ImageDiags and a nice overview of the utility.  The tool is used by all levels of HP Technical Support and will aid them greatly in troubleshooting your issue.

Before you run ImageDiags please read the User Guide which details requirements for the utility (.net 4.5, etc.).  Once you ready run ImageDiags by right clicking on the EXE and run as an Administrator.

Be aware that the analysis is very extensive and will take possibly over an hour to complete.

The link to the EXE

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/idr/ImageDiags2/ImageDiags2.exe

Place ImageDiags2.exe into an empty subdirectory on your system so that all of the log files created will be easy to identify. 

Let HP Technical Support know that you have run ImageDiags.

Good luck.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

Hello Joel,

Thanks for the help. I have generated both HPIA logs and ImageDiag logs.

I tried contacting support but they have no idea what to do with these.

They just told me about the disable/enable fast boot options.

Is there a way to get in touch with the tech support by email so I can send them the logs ?

Thanks,

Satyam 

HP Recommended

Adding the relevant section from the firmware update log.

Hope this helps in identifying the root cause.

2019/02/27 11:40:56.349|000CA3F0|Information|CHPBiosUpdateApp::MergeBinFile|Scan INF folder = [C:\SWsetup\SP92844\]
2019/02/27 11:40:56.349|000CA3F0|Information|CHPBiosUpdateApp::MergeBinFile|Check INF file = C:\SWsetup\SP92844\Q71_010405.inf
2019/02/27 11:40:56.349|000CA3F0|Information|CHPBiosUpdateApp::CheckInfGUID|BinFilePath ="C:\SWsetup\SP92844\Q71_010405.bin"

2019/02/27 11:40:56.380|000CA3F0|Error |HPBiosUpdate::PrivateWmiInfo::GetBinFileName|0x2 command failed, hr = 0x0, return code = 0x3.
2019/02/27 11:40:56.380|000CA3F0|Information|CHPBiosUpdateApp::CheckInfGUID|GUID 4cbcb03a2769a2408bbd2025cdb63a87 Not Found!
2019/02/27 11:40:56.380|000CA3F0|Information|CHPBiosUpdateApp::MergeBinFile|No Validate firmware found!
2019/02/27 11:41:07.929|000CA3F0|Information|CHPBiosUpdateApp::PerformWizard|User canceled wizard.
2019/02/27 11:41:07.933|000CA3F0|Information|CHPBiosUpdateApp::ExitInstance|HpFirmwareUpdRec Return Code = 1602
2019/02/27 11:41:07.945|000CA3F0|Information|CHPBiosUpdateApp::ExitInstance|****************** End of HpFirmwareUpdRec session ******************
2019/02/27 11:41:07.945|000CA3F0|Information|CHPBiosUpdateApp::ExitInstance|

Thanks. Any leads are appreciated

HP Recommended

Further update.

Running the 64 bit update tool gives the following.

2019/03/24 21:54:07.489|00005770|Warning |CHPBiosUpdateApp::CheckDriveSpace|EFI partition does not have enough drive space, needed: 27842784, available: 306176

I beleive this should be the root cause of all problem.

Any assistance in fixing the space constarint on EFI partition would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

So I fixed the system myself. Posting here for anyone with similar issues.

It was a mix of multiple problems.

- Had to use a Microsoft tool to uninstall all Visual C++ redist packages as these were causing IMEI updates to fail

- The BIOS update fails were caused by insufficient space on EFI partition. So I used diskpart to manually extend the EFI partition.

- Finally, the wake from sleep issue was caused by Samsung NVME drivers when two M.2 SSD are present. Using the new NVME driver from Samsung fixes that.  

Thanks for your assistance. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.