Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProBook 6450b
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am trying to upgrade the BIOS of my ProBook 6450b, from 68CDE F.00, to F.60.

I downloaded F.60, having to select the OS as Windows 7 32-bit, but it generates an error about not being able to extract the .CAB file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I used HP Chat Support and got Derrick, who remoted in and resolved the BIOS update issue.

I failed to note that when I downloaded and extracted sp73917.exe, for the F.60 Rev.A BIOS update, there was a subfolder, that contained 2 more executables, one for BIOS family 68CDE, and one for 68CDF .

You do not use the HPQFlash.exe, you navigate to the subfolder and run the .exe for your BIOS family.

I am now at F.60 Rev.A

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Dude which version of windows 7? 32 bit or 64 bit?

HP Recommended

I selected Windows 7 32-bit for the download, since there isn't an option for Windows 10 32-bit.

The laptop currently has Windows 10 32-bit, but I will be doing a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit, once the RAM arrives for the upgrade.  It has 2 x 2 GB currently, but I am upgrading to 2 x 4 GB.

I'm thinking about upgrading to an SSD as well, if I can get one at a reasonable price.

HP Recommended

I m saying  which processor ur computer  is having.  U will  find in control panel . Which version? 32bit or 64bit and if ur planning  to upgrade  check this link https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/probook-6450b because  incompatible parts can spoil ur mobo .

HP Recommended

First generation Core i5 (M450)

The memory upgrade is 2 x 4 GB, PC3-10600 DDR3, which is correct for this system.

If I upgrade the hard drive, I will use an SATA2, or 3, 2.5" SSD.

I know that technically, Windows 10 is not supported by HP on this laptop, but I've had Windows 10 (32-bit) on it for several years now and it works fine, it's just slower than I would like, hence the RAM and SSD upgrades.  I also know that there's only so much you can do with a laptop with a first gen i5 processor, but the upgrades should make a noticeable improvement.

The BIOS on this is the original for the laptop, being at 68CDE Ver. F.00

So, what I need to know is how to download and update the BIOS on this laptop, running Windows 10.

I have a USB drive, if that can be used.

HP Recommended

Update:  I tried every earlier version version of the BIOS on the downloads page and several said:

The BIOS image is not compatible with this system.
Family of BIOS in ROM update: 68CDF
Family of BIOS in system: 68CDE

Although the text descriptions specifies for either 68CDF, or 68CDE.

2 give the error: ROM.CAB is missing or corrupt.

The oldest version is blocked by Windows 10 User Account Control.

I downloaded and installed the HP Image Assistant and it appears that my ProBook 6450b is not supported by the Image Assistant platform.

I am really at a loss as to how to update the BIOS on this laptop.

Ideas?

HP Recommended

I used HP Chat Support and got Derrick, who remoted in and resolved the BIOS update issue.

I failed to note that when I downloaded and extracted sp73917.exe, for the F.60 Rev.A BIOS update, there was a subfolder, that contained 2 more executables, one for BIOS family 68CDE, and one for 68CDF .

You do not use the HPQFlash.exe, you navigate to the subfolder and run the .exe for your BIOS family.

I am now at F.60 Rev.A

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.