Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 17-cd0017ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently found how to turn on my keyboard backlisght but it turns off every 20 sec if I don't use it. I saw that the solve is to change some properties in BIOS, but I don't have such properties as indicated in the documentation. Can I change backlight timeout for my device or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Demonmal

Welcome to HP support community.

that the backlight feature on this laptop, only supports turn on/off

changing specific options are not available.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Demonmal

that the backlight feature on this laptop, only supports turn on/off

changing specific options are not available.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is there any possibility to change backlight timeout in my ENVY x360 - 15-cn1004nw? Or there is no option either?

HP Recommended

@lorak503

Press the F5 or F4 (some models) key on the keyboard to turn the light on or off. It might be necessary to press the fn (function) key at the same time.

If the backlight icon  is not on the F5 key, look for the backlit keyboard key on the row of function keys.

Backlit keyboard key and fn keys highlighted

If that does not work, your notebook does not support this option.

Refer this HP document for more assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There is no problem to turn the backlight on/off but it keeps turning off after few seconds. I’ve been reading about this solution (that you mentioned) at HP website, but I don’t have “advanced” options in my bios (version F.19).

HP Recommended

@lorak503

This only applies to commercial models, and some consumer products, if your device doesn't have this enabled on BIOS, it's designed to timeout at a certain point of time and cannot be changed.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have just bought the HP Envy X360 Convertible (Ryzen 7), and I find it disappointing that there is no option to keep keyboard backlight on for longer, or even continuously when it is set on.

I mean, what's the purpose of forcing the user to keep pressing any key to continue using the keyboard in the dark? It becomes frustrating in the long term.

I hope HP will add this feature to this laptop via BIOS update.

HP Recommended

@Finntegral I'm afraid certain models go with this feature by design, however, I know what you mean and I'll be happy to forward your suggestion to the concerned team, hopefully they'll work on the same,

Thanks again and have a good day.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for forwarding my request to the development team.

It would seem to me that this feature has not been thoroughly analyzed from the end-user experience. The user is typically not typing all the time with just short pauses.

Especially when the device is plugged in, the enforced timeout is quite unnecessary, but it should be up to the user to decide whether he/she wants a timeout or not in the first place.

Hoping for a BIOS update. 😊

Btw, I used to work as a testing engineer. 🙂

HP Recommended

@Finntegral I can't agree more, but usage of keyboard depends from user to user! nevertheless, let's hope for the best.

Take care and have a good day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.